I find 1 Password 7 auto-fills with Big Sur VERY CONFUSING.

Options
ACDCHNL
ACDCHNL
Community Member

I find 1 Password 7 with Big Sur VERY CONFUSING.

I’ve blocked Mac keychain from interfering with PW insertions. However, when I want to login to a website where the login produces a secondary page that I can’t link to directly from 1PW’s “Open & Fill” menu (meaning 1PW does not auto fill the fields), I get all sorts of 1PW generated popup links when I mouseover a username/password field. I’ve practiced on websites I don’t care about in an effort to understand what 1PW is doing. But after several days of this I’m still not clear what 1PW is doing. For example, I don’t want to click the 1PW icon to the right of a fill in field and get ******** for the PW. I want to know what is being inserted. Normally I go to 1PW, copy the PW that I can verify, and insert that into the field. If, for example, the ******* insertion is wrong, I may get locked out of the website. I feel like I’m constantly fighting 1PW’s auto features. I also don’t understand what’s happing when I click various 1PW “save” options. Sometimes by 1PW item is updated and other times 1PW generates/duplicates a new 1PW item instead of updating my original 1PW item.

I’ve read the 1PW7 manuals but still do not have a confident feeling about what 1PW7 is doing.

Here’s an IDEA for 1PW. Create a dummy website page that can be used to practice on, which will provide feedback regarding what 1PW wants and is automatically doing.

1Password Version: 7.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 11.0.1
Sync Type: 1PW
Referrer: forum-search:I find 1 Password 7 with Big Sur VERY CONFUSING. I’ve blocked Mac keychain from interfering with PW insertions. However, when I want to login to a website where the login produces a secondary page that I can’t link to directly from 1PW’s “Open & Fill” menu (meaning 1PW does not auto fill the fields), I get all sorts of 1PW generated popup links when I mouseover a username/password field. I’ve practiced on websites I don’t care about in an effort to understand what 1PW is doing. But after several days of this I’m still not clear what 1PW is doing. For example, I don’t want to click the 1PW icon to the right of a fill in field and get ******** for the PW. I want to know what is being inserted. Normally I go to 1PW, copy the PW that I can verify, and insert that into the field. If, for example, the ******* insertion is wrong, I may get locked out of the website. I feel like I’m constantly fighting 1PW’s auto features. I also don’t understand what’s happing when I click various 1PW “save” options. Sometimes by 1PW item is updated and other times 1PW generates/duplicates a new 1PW item instead of updating my original 1PW item. I’ve read the 1PW7 manuals but still do not have a confident feeling of what’s happening. Here’s an IDEA for 1PW. Create a dummy website page that can be used to practice on that will provide feedback on what 1PW wants and is automatically doing.

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ACDCHNL!

However, when I want to login to a website where the login produces a secondary page that I can’t link to directly from 1PW’s “Open & Fill” menu (meaning 1PW does not auto fill the fields), I get all sorts of 1PW generated popup links when I mouseover a username/password field.

Can you give us an example of such a website?

For example, I don’t want to click the 1PW icon to the right of a fill in field and get ******** for the PW. I want to know what is being inserted.

1Password will insert the value of the password field inside this Login item (the same one you would copy and paste).

• ACDCHNL
    ACDCHNL
    Community Member
    Options

I’m using:

• 1Password 7 Version 7.7 (70700015)
    • Big Sur 11.0.1
    • Version 14.0.1 (16610.2.11.51.8)
    • MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2020, Four Thunderbolt 3 ports)
    • Processor - 2.3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
    • Memory - 16 GB 3733 MHz LPDDR4X
    • Graphic - Intel Iris Plus Graphics 1536 MB

I’m also a very long time 1PW user

You request that I provide an example. I don’t have an account with Abecrobie & Fitch so I’ll use that as an example - https://www.abercrombie.com/shop/us

Using Safari, I get the attached A&F’s login screen, which I’ve annotated to show the various automatic 1PW generated icons. These are all new to me and for which I can’t find any explanation within 1PW Support. I have (after an hour or so of testing) begun to understand some of it. Before all this new 1PW auto-pop-up began I was happy to use the main 1PW app to create and save my PWs and use the 1PW menu bar (mini) to autofill. There now seems to be an all-new ballgame going on. Referring to the attached illustration, what is (1)? I discovered (on my own) that (2) displays the password normally shown as ******, that’s great! I really like that!! (3) shows as “No items to show” because I have not yet set up an account using 1PW. When I do then A&F appears here. (4) creates the pop-down (5). I’m not sure what I’m supposed to do with (5). I have no idea what (6) does. I’m sure Agilebits intended all this new automation to be helpful. I’m sure it is helpful once a user understands what’s going on. However, at present (for me), it’s like driving a car with all the controls switched around. If this app was a game, I wouldn’t mind an entertaining wild adventure. But in this case, I’m playing with financial institutions for which I most strongly prefer a understandable, controllable vehicle. I just reviewed all 1PW Support’s how-to videos and written material. I can’t find any mention of the items identified in the attached diagram.

Another older 1PW problem (for me) is Social Security. 1PW gets confused between my SS account and my wife’s SS account. If I’m not very careful when changing PWs, 1PW will autosave a new PW to the wrong 1PW SS item. This is why I want to verify what a new PW is and copy it to my 1PW “Note” field to make sure the 1PW autosave function doesn’t save it to the wrong account.

Another issue I have it that I have to repeatedly type in my PW at least once a day even though I’ve selected once-pe-week so that I can use FaceID or Touch ID most of the time. What is triggering the requirement to enter the master password more often?

• The Master Password being requested once each day seems to be a bug and the developers are looking into it.

If you are more accustomed to using 1Password from the browser extension you can disable the inline menu if you like. This would put 1Password back to how you previously used it.

• Disable the inline menu completely. 1Password > Preferences > Browsers - Safari, uncheck the option for show inline menu.
This discussion has been closed.