Safari extension and Mini not working in 7.7

Options
lukasnevosad
lukasnevosad
Community Member

So this has been my 1Password experience ever since I "upgraded" to 7.7: https://www.dropbox.com/s/mn8j1br3r2nbi8b/Screen Recording 2020-12-08 at 10.03.18.mov?dl=0

• Safari extension does not work. It shows Unlock pupup, but clicking it does nothing
  • 1Password Mini does not work at all, clicking it does nothing
  • New in field 1Password overlay icon renders over Keychain icon, so I cannot even use the good old Keychain.
  • 1Password Mini eventually starts to work for a while when I restart 1Password. Then it stops working again.
  • I was unable to make the Safari extension work with whatever I tried (disabling and enabling it, restarting Safari, restarting Mac, ...)
  • Chrome extension does not work either, it only shows a popup with "1Password extension (desktop app required)" link to 1pwd homepage.

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.7 (70700016) Mac App Store
Extension Version: 1Password 7.6 from 1Password 7
OS Version: 10.15.7
Sync Type: 1Password cloud (business plan)

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @lukasnevosad! Welcome to the forum!

I would like to ask you to generate a diagnostics report from your Mac and email it to us to support+forum@agilebits.com, so we can take a closer look at why this is happening to you.

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and connect it with this forum discussion.

Looking forward to your message!

• hollowSmart
    hollowSmart
    Community Member
    Options

Hey, I had this same issue all morning and just made an account so I could share my solution. I'm running Big Sur 11.0.1 on a 13" MacBook Retina Late 2013 with Safari 14.0.1. 1Password is version 7.7.

1. Quit Safari first and then 1Password
    2. Open 1Password and unlock your vault
    3. Open Safari again and see if that works.

It's a really simple solution but I can't believe it wasn't the first thing I tried before reinstalling 1P and restarting my MacBook 😒

I really hope this works for anyone going through the same thing as I did!

• lukasnevosad
    lukasnevosad
    Community Member
    Options

For anyone interested I am pasting the steps to get it working as received from 1Password Support. It did solve my issue. I believe the key step is to reset the Extension Helper, since that is about the only thing I did not try when troubleshooting myself.

1. In Safari > Preferences > Extensions, toggle the 1Password extension off and on again.
    2. In 1Password > Preferences > Browsers, toggle the Extension Helper off and on again.
    3. Quit Safari.
    4. Right click (or click while holding the Control key) the 1Password icon in your Mac's menubar and select Quit 1Password Completely.
    5. In System Preferences > Users & Groups > Login Items, verify that neither 1Password nor Safari are listed.
    6. Restart your Mac.
    7. Open and unlock the 1Password desktop app.
    8. Open Safari and test the extension.
  • @lukasnevosad

Thank you for sharing those steps with the community. Hopefully, they will prove just as useful to other members.

• b0bcra1n
    b0bcra1n
    Community Member
    edited December 2020
    Options

1Password Problem, Safari 14, Catalina 10.15.7:

I have a 1Password7 stand alone license.

Not available in Safari menu bar. Does not work from Apple menu bar. Says, turn on the extension in Safari->preferences->extensions. It was on, toggle it off, it asks for permission, and scolds about 1Password being a security problem:

Are you sure you want to turn on the extension "1Password?" This extension can read and alter every webpage you visit, and also see all your browsing history.

I clicked yes. A further window popped up and asked for permission. I give it permission as admin. Still does not work. I think I read about Apple reducing the amount of admin power that an owner can have.

Reboot the computer with extension on, or off, nothing. The 1Password icon appears in Safari menu bar like a ghost, then disappears.

1Password7 works fine in Firefox 83 And Chrome Version 87,0,4280.88

It worked fine today up until 12:00 PM in Safari, and then stopped working. Suggestions: rip it out and re-install?

Update, I tried the solution recommended by lukasnevosad. The 1Password icon briefly appeared in the menu bar, then ghosted.

[personal information removed by moderator]

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@b0bcra1n:

Do you perhaps have other extensions installed in Safari?

• b0bcra1n
    b0bcra1n
    Community Member
    Options

Yes. Cookie 6.3. They always (8 years) have behaved together before. Worked fine together until yesterday. I suppose I could disable Cookie, and try again.

• b0bcra1n
    b0bcra1n
    Community Member
    Options

I disabled Cookie. Tried the on/off process mentioned above. 1Password fades in and out of the Safari menu bar a few times, disappears for good, and 1Password is nonfunctional, both in Safari and in the OS menu bar.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@b0bcra1n:

Thank you for the confirmation. Please see my instructions above to send us a diagnostics report :+1:

• b0bcra1n
    b0bcra1n
    Community Member
    Options

I have sent the diagnostic report, as requested. Thanks for your help.

• ag_tommy
    edited December 2020
    Options

@b0bcra1n

Could you try enabling the extension in Safe mode? Does that yield any better results? Also, I was unable to locate your report. Do you have a support id that you can share with me? You should have received an auto-reply that included that id.

• b0bcra1n
    b0bcra1n
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_tommy, the support id is [#RUZ-22226-791].

• @b0bcra1n

Ah, it arrived from a different email address that your forum account uses. Thanks for posting the ID.

ref: RUZ-22226-791]

• b0bcra1n
    b0bcra1n
    Community Member
    Options

I tried enabling the extension in Safe Mode. Twice. Same result. The OS scolds me about 1Password being a security problem. Gives me the option of approving it anyway. So I do. Open Safari, 1Password flickers on and off in the menu bar, and finally disappears for good.

• b0bcra1n
    b0bcra1n
    Community Member
    Options

By the way, I use to set Safari to open with a private window. This caused 1Password to keep asking for permissions. I finally turned off the automatic private window, and 1Password worked fine. I still use Private Window exclusively on Safari, along with Cookie.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@b0bcra1n:

Thank you for the update. Let us take a look at your diagnostics report and we will get back to your email as soon as possible :+1:

• b0bcra1n
    b0bcra1n
    Community Member
    Options

I clean installed my Mac, and moved 1Password over. Sync the vault, and everything looks good, except . . . How do I implement my stand alone license. I have it, but I can't figure out how to enable it. Has it anything to do with downloading this copy of 1Password from the Apple App Store? Thanks.

• time99
    time99
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks lukasnevosad. Your solution seems to have worked when I wasn't getting answers from 1Password support.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @time99

I'm sorry to hear you had trouble getting ahold of us. I'm not seeing any other community posts from you, or any recent emails from the email address you have registered here? I'm glad to hear you issue with 1Password is resolved but it may be worth looking into the situation of us not having a prior contact from you?

Ben

• Ben
    Options

@b0bcra1n

The Mac App Store version of 1Password cannot be licensed. It will only work with a 1Password membership. This article may be of help:

How to install the 1Password app from 1Password.com after installing it from the Mac App Store

Ben

• b0bcra1n
    b0bcra1n
    Community Member
    Options

Problem solved. I installed from 1password.com and everything works great now.

• Ben
    Options

Great! :) If we can be of further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.