Chrome changes user name and does not update password

Options
DeltaSeven
DeltaSeven
Community Member
edited December 2020 in 1Password in the Browser

In helping a new user install and set up 1Password I've run in to a problem. The new user uses Chrome on a Mac. We go to a web site, change the password, and then choose Update Existing for 1Password. When we jump to 1Password the password was not updated.

Also, when we attempt to copy and paste the new password from the 1Password password history (entries with the key icon), and then hit save, sometimes the user name is changed to about a dozen or more random letters.

The user I'm helping runs about five or six various Chrome extensions. I've recreated the problem on my Mac and the only Chrome extension I run is for 1Password. Any advice?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @DeltaSeven ,

What you're describing is quite strange. I'd like to ask you for some more details in order to investigate (and reproduce) the issue here:

• Which Mac OSX operating system are you on?
    • Which version of Chrome?
    • Which version of the 1Password extension is installed in Chrome?
    • Which version of the 1Password desktop app are you using?
    • What are the exact steps you take in order to reproduce this? Write a detailed step-by-step instructions of where to click and when. Alternatively, you can capture a screen recording video (without revealing any real usernames/passwords) which would save you the trouble and will make things clearer for us.

If you'd rather do that in private, you can send us all of this to support+extensions@1password.com alongside a link to this forum discussion so we can connect the dots.

• DeltaSeven
    DeltaSeven
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_yaron, here is the info you requested:

1. Mac OS 11.0.1 (Big Sur). My friends Mac, which also exhibits the Chrome problem, is on an older OS (10.l3.x).
    2. Chrome 86.0.4240.198 (Official Build) (x86_64)
    3. 1Password Chrome extension 4.7.5.90
    4. 1Password desktop 7.7 (70700016)

I will work on the screen recording and be back in a few minutes.

• DeltaSeven
    DeltaSeven
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_yaron,

I uploaded all the info to the email address you provided. Please let me know what you find.

My friend, that I convinced to try 1Password, is ready to throw in the towel. He's frustrated.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks @DeltaSeven .

Did you get an automated reply email back? If so, what's the ticket number shown there? Should look something like [XXXX-XXXX-XXXX].

• DeltaSeven
    DeltaSeven
    Community Member
    edited December 2020
    Options

@ag_yaron:

The ticket number is: MYF-73813-438.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you :+1:

• DeltaSeven
    DeltaSeven
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_yaron:

It's disappointing to learn that the problem is a bug. It's hard to believe that a popular and well-respected app like 1Password doesn't work in what might be the most popular web browser on Mac OS.

Perhaps the bug was introduced when Big Sur came out? Even if that is the culprit, I'd think you guys have developers working on the beta versions of Mac OS.

I'm pretty sure my friend will ditch 1Password. I'm going to try to convince him he should be using Safari instead of Chrome, but I'm pretty sure he'll want to stick with Chrome.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @DeltaSeven ,

This is a bug that was introduced very recently in the 1Password 7.7 update. We filed it for our developers to investigate and fix.
    In the meantime, may I recommend you work with 1Password X?

1Password X is a different extenion that does not require the desktop app to function. It is a standalone app in your browser and has quite a different feel to it. 1Password X will show up inside usernames/password fields in the websites you visit and will suggest proper actions such as autofilling and saving logins (and also new strong passwords!). Check it out: https://support.1password.com/getting-started-1password-x/

We do recommend using 1Password X over the old companion extension that you and your fried are currently using. The only downside is that 1Password X does not yet support Touch ID unlock, which we're currently working on and hoping to release in the near future.

Thanks for reporting this issue, and I hope you'll find my suggestion useful in the meantime!

• DeltaSeven
    DeltaSeven
    Community Member
    edited December 2020
    Options

@ag_yaron,

While I've known of 1Password X, I've never really known its purpose or future.

I've installed 1Password X in Chrome and it did allow me to change a password and log in to a few other sites. I'll suggest this solution to the friend I'm helping.

Going forward is the plan for Safari users to continue as is? With 1Password X extensions for Chrome, Firefox and Edge?

• Hello @DeltaSeven,

1Password 7 and 1Password X are different products that serve different users. Some like to manage passwords using the 1Password app, and some like the convenience of 1Password X. we plan to improve and release the app integration feature that allows the 1Password app and 1Password X work together so you can have the best of both for all browsers.

• DeltaSeven
    DeltaSeven
    Community Member
    Options

@nhat_1P

RE: Some like to manage passwords using the 1Password app, and some like the convenience of 1Password X.

I guess I still don't understand the overlap. If a user only installed 1Password X where would they manage passwords? Using the web browser and logging in to their 1Password account in the cloud?

But since I have the 1Password app, and just now installed 1Password X, I can manage the passwords either in the app on my Mac or in the cloud?

• ag_tommy
    edited December 2020
    Options

@DeltaSeven

If a user only installed 1Password X where would they manage passwords? Using the web browser and logging in to their 1Password account in the cloud?

Yes.

But since I have the 1Password app, and just now installed 1Password X, I can manage the passwords either in the app on my Mac or in the cloud?

Yes.

• DeltaSeven
    DeltaSeven
    Community Member
    edited December 2020
    Options

@ag_tommy

Thanks for the info. As ag_yaron predicted, 1Password X is working well in Chrome. I've managed to convince my friend, the new user, to continue on with 1Password X in Chrome.

I've found one web site where 1Password and Safari auto-fill my credentials normally using the hot key. 1Password X and Chrome do not auto-fill. Is this something that can be filed for trouble-shooting? If so, it's https://onlinebanking.pnc.com/alservlet/OnlineBankingServlet

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @DeltaSeven ,

Looks like this website is preventing 1Password X's inline menu from showing up there. However, if you manually create a new login for this website (or if you already have a login for this website since you saved one in Safari), you can still autofill with 1Password X by clicking its icon on the top right corner of Chrome and autofilling from there. That should still work.

Thanks for bringing this website to our attention, we'll investigate if there's anything that can be done on our side of things to improve things there.

• DeltaSeven
    DeltaSeven
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_yaron ,

Thanks for having the team look in to that specific problem.

That brings up a question...my last I promise! I'm now running 1Password 7 for use with Safari. I now run the 1Password X extension in Chrome (and I've removed the 1Password 7 extension). Some research made me think there should be a 1Password X icon in the Chrome toolbar across the top of the window (and you reference it in your last reply). I don't see a 1Password icon in the Chrome toolbar. Any advice?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@DeltaSeven:

Make sure you have added the extension icon to Chrome, otherwise it will be hidden by default:

If you don’t see the 1Password icon in your browser

• DeltaSeven
    DeltaSeven
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana:

Thanks! That did it.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You are very welcome @DeltaSeven, I am glad to hear this :)

This discussion has been closed.