Touch ID Losing Focus

Options
DeeJayKay
DeeJayKay
Community Member

I have read the other posts on this issue, which seem similar though not as simple. I can replicate the problem every time.

When I click on the 1Password icon from the menu bar it opens the Touch ID window first has the focus perhaps for a millisecond and the when the main window comes up it switches focus to that window. So now the Touch ID is out of focus and does not work when I place my finger on the reader. I can send a video of it happening.

1Password 7
Version 7.7 (70700015)

1Password Version: 7.7
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: 10.15.7
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @DeeJayKay! Welcome to the forum!

Our developers are currently investigating the behavior of Touch ID on the latest version of 1Password for Mac, so I have passed your feedback to them ;)

ref: dev/apple/issues#5128

• DeeJayKay
    DeeJayKay
    Community Member
    edited December 2020
    Options

I may have the answer to the issue from a programmatic perspective Part B. But first I have some observations that may help Part A.

Part A
    So, this issue of the TouchID dialog losing focus, is ONLY observed when clicking on the MAIN icon in your dock or desktop with Touch ID enabled. If you change your usage behaviour you can circumnavigate the problem. Load the app in the normal way, use the touch ID to log in, then close the app using red cross on main window, ensure that mini is working and the 1Password icon is sitting in the menu bar at the top. Now click on the mini icon in the menu bar and LOCK the vault using the cog icon. Now go about your day in the normal way, when you select a page where you need to enter a password, the mini program will respond and the TouchID window will pop up and have the correct focus, no competing window. Yes, you still have the problem when selecting the main icon, but you only need to put up with the lost of focus issue once per day and your vault is still secure.

Part B
    You probably already have observed/logged this. So, the call to the TouchID is not the issue. It would seem that, correctly so, when you guys programmed the initial startup window to 1Password you do a call to FOCUS the cursor to the master password input field. As TouchID is a separate process that you merely API call, it does not have any context of MODAL operation, so as there is no dependency, or whatever you call it (you can tell i am NOT a programmer) it loses focus as would be expected. So my suggestion is simple (possibly banal)... when someone has selected in preferences to USE TouchID, ensure that your main window does a check for this setting and then DON'T call the focus code for the main window, just don't do anything with the main window. Thus the focus on the TouchID dialog will remain and work as expected.

Does any of that make any sense, assuming this is the programmatic logic? Also, more than happy to be wrong! :chuffed:

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@DeeJayKay:

Thank you for all the additional information! I am not a developer so I cannot get into a lot of details here, but I have added a comment to the internal discussion we are having so our developers can take a look at your test results directly :)

• davidharari
    davidharari
    Community Member
    Options

I am having the issue with the main window only on my MacBook Air M1. It has been happening for several months. Touch ID does not get focus when opening the main Window.
    There is no problem with the plug ins and mini.
    Password version is 7.8.1 from the 1P Store.
    Has there been any further development on this issue?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@davidharari:

Improvements in this area were added to the latest updates of 1Password for Mac. If you are still experiencing this, I would like to ask you to generate a diagnostics report from your Mac and email it to us to support+forum@agilebits.com, so we can take a closer look at why this is happening to you.

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and connect it with this forum discussion.

Looking forward to your message!

• davidharari
    davidharari
    Community Member
    Options

First sent log to support@1password.com in error. I hope that wasn't a problem. Resent to support+forum@agilebits.com. Email contained link to the community post.

Subject was: Diagnostic Log for Community Post

Have not received ticket for either one. Will post if receive it.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@davidharari:

Thank you! I confirm that I have managed to locate both your messages in our system :+1: We will take a look and someone will get back to your email as soon as possible.

Thank you for your patience!

ref: UHV-94932-764

This discussion has been closed.