How do I make password suggestions more specific?

Options
themanofsilver
themanofsilver
Community Member

I have a number of different passwords tied to different sites that have a common domain address.

One example is "Editorial Manager", a journal article submission site. Each journal that uses Editorial Manager has its own site ("www.editorialmanger.com/specificjournalname"). I have each of these saved with their own user name and password, and unique website address saved in 1Password. I find the suggestions are inconsistent. The inline password suggestion (which by the way is non-functional on this website for some reason) or 1Password mini will list all the different versions of Editorial Manager, and not just the one I am visiting.

For a different group of passwords, the sites I am visiting are often subdomains of a specific site (e.g. "www.subdomain.maindomain.com") and 1Password still suggests all passwords linked to "maindomain.com", and the one I actually want is almost always last on the list.

I know that this behaviour is likely intended to make 1Password more useful by suggesting a password that might be useful in a given situation, but is there a way to prioritize the one that exactly matches the current URL?

1Password Version: 7.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 11.1
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:suggestions

Comments

• @themanofsilver

editorialmanger.com/* would all the same site, as far as almost every tool I know of is concerned. The sites all start on the same path and end on different branches.

1. Make sure the website fields for each login item match exactly to their respective login pages.
    2. You can also make the most commonly accessed ones favorites, which will cause them to be at the top of the list.
  • themanofsilver
    themanofsilver
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @ag_tommy. Thanks for the response. I did make the specific website fields for each login unique (full url provided). If I understand you right, for any subdirectory of a website, 1Password will suggest any passwords for the main domain (as you suggested) regardless of full url provided.

What about those logins that involve subdomains: something.maindomain.com vs. somethingelse.maindomain.com. Surely if those are clearly specified 1Password should be able to choose between them?

Thanks again.

• Ben
    Options

If I understand you right, for any subdirectory of a website, 1Password will suggest any passwords for the main domain (as you suggested) regardless of full url provided.

Correct. They're all the same site as far as 1Password is concerned.

What about those logins that involve subdomains: something.maindomain.com vs. somethingelse.maindomain.com. Surely if those are clearly specified 1Password should be able to choose between them?

Also correct. You should see these listed as separate Login items you can choose from, though you'll see all results for *.mydomain.com. They should be ordered with the closest match (by URL) at the top.

Ben

• themanofsilver
    themanofsilver
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @Ben I'll have a closer look at the subdomain items to make sure I have full urls specified for all, and favourite the password that I use most often at Editorial Manager.

• @themanofsilver

Sounds like a plan!

• reub
    reub
    Community Member
    Options

Also correct. You should see these listed as separate Login items you can choose from, though you'll see all results for *.mydomain.com. They should be ordered with the closest match (by URL) at the top.

I understand the thinking of this design but for those of us with use cases where we have credentials that vary across subdomains, it's somewhat obtrusive and annoying.

As a user, I would much rather be offered one correct match when I put in the effort to define my websites distinctly in my vault entries rather than a number of peer subdomains that I don't intend (and now can't avoid) whenever I autofill. Even if this behavior were an opt-in option, could I ask that it be considered as an enhancement?

• ag_tommy
    edited January 2021
    Options

@reub

I appreciate you sharing your thoughts. I'll share them with the team.

ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests#31

• reub
    reub
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_tommy Thank you, appreciated.

• :+1: :chuffed:

• faffe
    faffe
    Community Member
    Options

I encounter a lot of requests for better url matching when searching the forum, I'll add my support to just this one.

It's incredibly annoying to be offered a whole list of suggested accounts on the few domains or servers that separate different services by subdomain or /path.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you both for the feedback :+1:

This discussion has been closed.