What are the repercussions of changing one's Account Name?

Options
ntw2
ntw2
Community Member

Hello, 1Password support

How will changing our account name (xyz.1password.com) affect:

• access to the vaults that we've shared with third-parties?
  • the 1Password apps that we've installed on our devices?

Thank you,
Nate

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:What are the repercussions of changing one's Account Name?

Comments

• john_m
    john_m
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ntw2! Welcome to our forum :chuffed:

There are a few considerations when changing the sign-in address for an account:

• The sign-in address is one of the four sign-in details that every member of your account has; as such, changing the sign-in address will invalidate any Emergency Kits any of your members have previously saved. If they want to have an Emergency Kit, they can save an updated one from their profile page in the web interface for the account after the change has been made. Secret Keys or other member details won't change, it's just the sign-in address.

• Account members who have added the account to their 1Password apps should have the change to the account's configuration happen automatically and silently for them in the app as long as they unlock the app and successfully sync with the account within 30 days of the change. Any account members using older apps (mid-2017 or earlier), or who miss the 30-day window after the change will need to manually re-authenticate (fully sign into the account again inside the app).

• Any account members that have bookmarked the old sign-in address in their web browsers will need to update their bookmarks

The change itself takes place immediately, and there is no down-time for the account. Let me know if you have any other questions, or if there's anything else I can do for you! :+1:

• ntw2
    ntw2
    Community Member
    Options

Fantastic, concise response - thank you!

• john_m
    john_m
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're very welcome @ntw2 - let me know if you have any other questions, and happy new year to you! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.