Duplicated Passwords vs. Logins

jhurshman
jhurshman
Community Member
edited December 2020 in Mac

When I create a registration for a site, then login, I sometimes end up with two separate entities (a "Login" and a "Password", each with the same actual password and website).

I'm not 100% sure this is correct, but I believe it's roughly this sequence:
1. On whatever website's register account page, click 1P's "Generate password"
2. Fill in password, submit registration form
3. Maybe additional stuff here, like clicking an email validation link
4. Go to website's login page
5. Get prompted by 1P to save login

Not only do I end up with two separate entities, but Watchtower labels that password as "reused". It seems like 1P should never create a separate Login entity with the same password and website as an existing Password entity.

Anyone else see this behavior?

1Password Version: 7.7
Extension Version: 7.7
OS Version: macOS 10.15.7
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• @jhurshman

When you generate a password, 1Password will create a password entry. This is a safety net of sorts if you happen not to save the password while completing the setup process. Otherwise, you might end up locked out of your newly created account.

1Password should be cleaning up saved passwords when you create a log in. This can fail at times, resulting in duplicate entries. 1Password for Mac has a nifty feature that allows you to remove redundant passwords. To use that feature, open 1Password, and then from the menu bar at the top of your screen, select Help > Tools > Remove Redundant Generated Passwords. What that does is look at your logins and your generated passwords. If it finds a match between two items, it offers to remove the generated password entry.

• The feature does not work in the All Vaults view. You must be viewing an individual vault for it to work.
  • jhurshman
    jhurshman
    Community Member

Excellent, that worked, thanks!
    (And I didn't have a problem using it from "All Vaults" view.)

• I am happy to hear that things are back in order. Please let us know if you have any additional questions. We're here to help.

• JMonty
    JMonty
    Community Member

I'm having the same problem. However, since I use the 1Password app on windows there is no option to Remove Redundant Generated Passwords. The only option I have available is Help > Tools > Optimize database. I tried that option and it did not cleanup the duplicate Login and Password entries. Do I have to manually cleanup those entries every time I have 1Password generate a new password? Is there a different way to generate passwords without this happening? Is there a setting I can change to turn off this behavior? If I ever somehow miss updating the 1Password entry with the newly generated password, then I'd rather just repeat the process of updating the password for that site instead of having to manually cleanup records every single time.

• JMonty
    JMonty
    Community Member

Sorry, I found this post exactly describing my problem from a general search and I didn't realize that it's under the Mac topic. I will ask my question in the Windows topic forum.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you, I see that you posted in the Windows section already :+1: We will get back to you over there as soon as possible :)

This discussion has been closed.