Suggested password is rated as excellent—why not fantastic?

Options
SSMMBB
SSMMBB
Community Member

I just noticed that when 1password gives me a suggested password on a website, it is only giving me passwords rated as excellent. Why does it not give me passwords rated as fantastic?

Thanks.

1Password Version: 7.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.14.6
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:suggestion

Comments

• @SSMMBB

If 1Password doesn't know where your password was generated (which is the case when pasting/typing/adding to the password yourself), it's supposed to lose some of the strength that being truly random originally gave it. Do you perhaps need to change the password?

• SSMMBB
    SSMMBB
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry if I wasn’t clear - I am talking about when I set up a new password on a new website. 1Password gives me suggestions for the new password and I just realized it only serves up suggestions that are rated as excellent. I wonder why it doesn’t give me suggestions rated as fantastic.

• billk69
    billk69
    Community Member
    Options

same issue - When using the 1P browser extension when creating a new login, 1P suggest a 20 character password. I want the default suggested password to be a random 32 character password with symbols and numbers.

• benmattison
    benmattison
    Community Member
    Options

@SSMMBB @billk69, do you mean the password generated by the inline menu in Safari?

@ag_tommy, I think the underlying question here is, are the length and other characteristics of a password generated in the inline menu fixed or is there a way to adjust them, the way you can in the 1Password Mini menu?

• billk69
    billk69
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben .. I think you guys call it the companion app extension .. and yes, is it fixed or can we preset our individual preference - thanks

image attached is a sample and the generated password is not in use :)

• billk69
    billk69
    Community Member
    Options

One option might be to include the ability to spawn the password generator from the dropdown list ...

• benmattison
    benmattison
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_tommy A related issue: if I do use the password generator in the 1Password Mini menu, in order to use a longer (now up to 100 characters!) or memorable password, it isn't consistently filling in the new password and/or asking if I want to save as a new login or replace the existing one.

• Ben
    Options

Hi folks

I think the underlying question here is, are the length and other characteristics of a password generated in the inline menu fixed or is there a way to adjust them, the way you can in the 1Password Mini menu?

It is not currently possible to customize the characteristics of passwords suggested through the inline menu. Perhaps that is something we can consider for the future, though I must admit the bar for adding a preference is fairly high (if you search this forum for "add a preference" you can likely get a sense of why).

A related issue: if I do use the password generator in the 1Password Mini menu, in order to use a longer (now up to 100 characters!) or memorable password, it isn't consistently filling in the new password and/or asking if I want to save as a new login or replace the existing one.

Could you please walk us through an example where this isn't working as expected? Thanks!

Ben

• benmattison
    benmattison
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben I just tried on a few sites and couldn't reproduce—never mind! Maybe just a temporary glitch the other day that was solved by a browser restart.

On the original topic of this thread, it makes a lot of sense that the "add a preference" bar needs to be high. And I recognize the value of the inline menu is that it just works without any fiddling—I'm normally the type who likes to fiddle but the inline interface is so effortless that it is making me a convert.

• Ben
    Options

I'm normally the type who likes to fiddle but the inline interface is so effortless that it is making me a convert.

I can relate! I'm the same way. :) Thanks for the update. If the other issue does pop up again please let us know.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.