1Password X on Firefox, MacOS Big Sur 11.1

I installed this addon in my firefox this morning. I would get the icon, but a closed lock on the bottom right of the icon. Clicking on the icon did nothing. I could not make it work. I tried uninstalling and re-installing multiple times... no dice. Now, I just tried again and won't even get the icon on the top bar. I don't know what I may be doing wrong. I have the latest version of Firefox (84.0.1) I'm lost.

1Password Version: 7.7
Extension Version: 1.22.3
OS Version: MacOS Big Sur 11.1
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• necochino
    necochino
    Community Member

After a lot of researching... I discover Firefox was starting in private mode and that was impeding the app from working properly to sign in. I changed that, was able to sign in and now it works, even when I open a private window. Weird.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @necochino ,
    Sorry I wasn't able to see your message here earlier, I would have been able to point you to that solution and save you the trouble of finding it yourself.

When Firefox is set to always use private browsing, it also prevents from a local cache to be created and written to, which is what the 1Password extension needs in order to function. After that local cache is written, you can then keep working in private browsing and things will work properly.

Regardless, I'm glad you managed to get things working on your own :)

• necochino
    necochino
    Community Member

Thanks, ag_yaron. Managed to make it work on my MacBook, I am still struggling on my iMac. I will compare both Firefox settings and hopefully that will do it. How can I ensure that my login is preserved after I shutdown firefox. I am cleaning cookies and cache. Should I leave cache on, then? or is there a cookie I must preserve?

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @necochino .

If you mean you wish to keep 1Password unlocked after you close Firefox - that's not possible. When you quit Firefox completely, it shuts down any and all extensions as well, which causes 1Password X to lock up immediately. However, if you keep Firefox running and would like to keep 1Password unlocked, you can adjust the auto-lock settings in 1Password X:

1. Open Firefox.
    2. Right click the 1Password X extension icon on the top right corner of Firefox and select "Settings".
    3. In the settings page, adjust the auto-lock timer and features as you see fit.

We're currently working on a feature to integrate 1Password X with the desktop app (1Password 7), which will allow it to remain unlocked even if you quit the browser, but it is still mid development. Hopefully this feature will be available in the near future :)

• necochino
    necochino
    Community Member

Thanks, ag_yaron. Understood.

I am still stuck though. I compared and made sure I have both the same versions of Firefox and Big Sur in the MacBook and iMac. I have also checked and Kasrpersky has the same options too. I can install 1Password X and it goes through all the login process to install. The icon shows in the username/password of websites, with the message to command+period to unlock. Neither the icon is on the top menu, nor command+period does anything. I have tried re-installing and rebooting... what else am I missing??

• Hello @necochino, could you please go here on Firefox about:preferences#privacy > Scroll down to "History" and let me know the option you selected there? Do you use "Never remember history?"

• necochino
    necochino
    Community Member

SOLVED - So, somehow I found it... it was hidden. Right-click (ctrl-click on the mac) on the toolbar space to "customize". The icon was there among the options. I dragged it net to the other icons, and done ! What a weird thing to happen. I can't count how many times I installed, de-installed and re-installed, rebooted.... ugh...

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

Glad you were able to resolve that, @necochino! Hopefully things will work smoothly for you from here. If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach back out :)

This discussion has been closed.