2FA for 1Password Account not working

Options
StefanDE
StefanDE
Community Member
edited December 2020 in Mac

Hi all!

I have an issue with my 1PW account (Family Account that i am organizing) and the 2FA security.

Today, I switched on 2FA and added 1PW to my Google Auth wich was successfull. Because of me being dumb and not noting down the Key on my security kit, I replaced the key with a new one and noted it down. Unfortunately, now neither code is working and I am afraid of locking myself out of the account.

Any idea, why that is and how to fix it? I am logged in currently.

I feel like an idiot (who is using 1FA for years with other services...)

Thanks for helping out! :)

(In the mean time I created a new user in our family and assigned him organizer privileges so that, in worst case, I can recover my account on my own)

1Password Version: 7.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.15.7
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:2FA

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @StefanDE! Welcome to the forum!

If neither code is working, perhaps the issue is with the time on this device. 2FA is very time-sensitive, so any drift in time on any of your devices could cause the authenticator codes to be rejected.

A good resource that makes it easy to check this is the following website:

https://time.is/

After making sure the time is the same on every one of your devices, your authenticator codes should be accepted.

Please let me know if this worked!

• StefanDE
    StefanDE
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, ag_ana!

In the mean time, I have recovered my account via the Family Recovery. The time was ok, so I guess it must have had a different root cause.

Stefan

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@StefanDE:

Thank you for the update! Should you notice this again, please let us know and we can certainly take a closer look :)

This discussion has been closed.