Transferring to new iMac--Help with Procedure

docbombay
docbombay
Community Member

I currently have 1Password 7.7 on an iMac with macOS Catalina 10.15.7. I am getting a new iMac which will have macOS BigSur. My plan is to migrate EVERYTHING from a Time Machine backup on an external hard drive to the new iMac. Will 1Password transfer in its entirety to the new computer by this method, or are there any additional/different steps to follow since this app is subscription-based? BTW, I have a 1Password membership which was purchased directly from 1Password and not the App Store, if that makes a difference. I am not very tech-savvy compared to most, so please make any answers accurate, but also as simple as possible. Thanks very much for any help!!

1Password Version: 7.7
Extension Version: 7.7
OS Version: OS X 10.15.7
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• docbombay
    docbombay
    Community Member

I'm not sure I understand--I was under the impression that the Migration Assistant utility would be used for either a Mac-to-Mac transfer, or a transfer from a Time Machine backup on an external disk. It would just be a matter of selecting the source to be transferred. Could you please clarify (since I'm somewhat cyber-challenged)? Also, are you saying that my settings would not be transferred from a Time Machine backup? My goal is to have everything moved to the new computer. Thanks for the answer, I just want to make sure I understand it.

• williakz
    williakz
    Community Member

@sylath, I tried Migration Assistant once not long ago. As I recall, it forced me to create new (parallel) user accounts and home folders for those accounts, which messed up the "cloning" I was looking for. Is this aspect of the utility something you've run into and had to deal with, or was my experience due to inexperience where I needlessly created headaches for myself? Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on the matter.

• williakz
    williakz
    Community Member

@sylath, thanks very much for the response and sensible advice. I'll be sure to give it a try next time around.

• docbombay
    docbombay
    Community Member

Thank you for your help! I now know a lot more about the migration process, and it appears that my 1P7 will simply require that I sign in with my master password on the new iMac. My main reason for posting this question was to find out if 1P7 will transfer with little or no trouble, and I got some bonus knowledge in the process!

• @docbombay

I am happy to hear you could find the information you needed. Please let us know if you have any questions.

• docbombay
    docbombay
    Community Member

Thanks for your response--I would value your thoughts as a team member about one remaining question that is unclear to me. My understanding is that, since I already have a 1Password account, I can sign in on my new device after migrating everything from a Time Machine backup, using my "Secret Key", and all my items should be there. I am assuming that the application itself should transfer to the new device and that I can then sign in, but this is unclear. Will the application itself transfer via the Time Machine backup using Migration Assistant, or will I need to reinstall the app? If so, what steps would I follow? I am probably overthinking this since Apple is usually so user-friendly. But I would appreciate any clarification you can give. Thanks much!

• @docbombay

I like to always download a new copy of the installer to make sure I have the latest and greatest version. However, you could transfer it via your backup if you wish.

You would sign into 1Password and all of your data will be pulled down from your account.

• docbombay
    docbombay
    Community Member

If the application will transfer via the backup, and since I'm migrating everything anyway, I think I'll just sign into the app once transfer is complete so as to keep things a little simpler. I can use the installer method if the need arises--I'm currently using 7.7 so unless it updates before my transfer, I should be OK. Thank you very much!!

• You're most welcome. Have a great day!

This discussion has been closed.