Exported .1pif files apparently corrupted

Options
LarryMcJ
LarryMcJ
Community Member
edited December 2020 in Mac

Using the current macOS version downloaded from 1Password.com I've tried exporting each individual vault to a separate .1pif file and it will not import into any other password manager. First time I've ever encountered this. I also tried switching to Beta 4 and exporting - same problem. Uninstalled the release version twice and reinstalled - same problem. The only thing that has changed since this worked just fine is I'm now using an M1 MacBook Pro.

1Password Version: 1Password 7
Version 7.7 (70700015)
1Password Store
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 11.1
Sync Type: 1Password.com

Comments

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    edited December 2020
    Options

Initially, this was an inconvenience but now it's become a workflow issue. I need to share some information with someone who doesn't use 1Password and I can't. I've tried five or six more times to export information from a single vault in .1pif format and it can't be imported into any of several popular password managers. In all cases the error is "Nothing was imported", "Nothing to import" or simply just "An error occurred". How can I ascertain if this is being caused by my M1 Mac? Surely that's not the case, but it's the only thing that's changed since the export/import process I use was working just fine. The file size of the exported .1pif file for this vault is the same size it's always been.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@LarryMcJ

it can't be imported into any of several popular password managers.

I haven't looked carefully at the 1PIF export for any recent changes, but I'm able to convert it just fine with the onepif converter in the converter suite.

So perhaps there has been some minor change(s) but the other password managers were not properly handling 1PIF.

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    edited December 2020
    Options

@MrC - This is something that has recently manifested. I've been exporting .1pif files for several other password managers for years and they've always imported just fine. Specifically, Bitwarden, LastPass and Dashlane. Now, any .1pif file that I export from 1Password (or the Beta 4 version) will not work. I downloaded Bitwarden and LastPass to try it myself. It's hard to believe something magically changed overnight, but I suppose anything can happen. I'll try the converter suite and see if that works. Thanks.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@LarryMcJ ,

I do some some new fields data added to the JSON 1PIF that pertain to input. It's possible these are tripping up those password managers. Since they have reverse engineered the 1PIF, they would be responsible for ensuing the necessary translation.

Keep in mind - the 1PIF format is a 1Password interchange format, not an immutable public data structure format.

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, @MrC. If the .1pif file has been changed, I agree that it's not an AgileBits problem. But my only concern is how to export the data from one of my vaults to three colleagues. I download the ZIP file from your Dropbox link to "converter suite" but all I get is the following, which resolves to a blank web page. Am I missing something?

mrc-converter-suite-2020-11-27-1259.zip.html

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    Options

@MrC - please disregard my last post. It worked fine when I downloaded it to my personal Dropbox.

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    edited December 2020
    Options

Even after looking through your very nice converter suite, apparently I'll just have to wait for the other password managers to reverse engineer their import processes again. Everything in the converter suite appears to be for importing into 1Password - not out of 1Password. And I need to export a .1pif into a few of the other apps that currently have broken import routines. Hopefully, they'll figure this out eventually.

If you know of some other way to export 1Password data into Bitwarden or others, I'd appreciate the help. Otherwise, thanks so much for letting me know it isn't something going wrong on my end.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited December 2020
    Options

@LarryMcJ ,

[figured I'd give instructions anyway, in case someone else needs help in the future]

There is a Download link in a sub-menu for Dropbox files such as the zip file (I don't like the interface, but it is what it is):

The onepif converter is used to convert to HTML (e.g. for printing via a browser), or CSV. It uses one of the sample formatters, which can be specified via the --format option. Use --help to see the options. Examples:

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@LarryMcJ ,

If you feel comfortable with the JSON format, you can edit the 1PIF to test, perhaps removing any of the fields / structures that might be causing troubles. This way, you could narrow down the issue, and if you need to, report it to the other companies.

The 1PIF file is just a text file, that contains individual JSON entries separated by a single string on a line by itself ("5642bee8-a5ff-11dc-8314-0800200c9a66"). I have a little script that helps show it in a easier to view format. You're welcome to use it of course:

$ cat  ~/bin/pp_1pif
    #!/usr/bin/perl

binmode STDOUT, ":utf8";
    binmode STDERR, ":utf8";

my @lines;
    while (<>) {
        chomp;
        next if $_ eq '***5642bee8-a5ff-11dc-8314-0800200c9a66***';
        push @lines, $_;
    }

if (@lines) {
        open(my $f, "|-", "json_pp");
        print $f "[", join(',', @lines), "]";
    }

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    edited December 2020
    Options

Thanks @MrC but not knowing what the 1PIF structure was before they changed the input fields I'd probably mess it up even worse :) My coding is limited to SQL, a little JS (which looks similar to this) and HTML - plus I've been retired for about 12 years so I've intentionally forgotten a lot. Since I use 1Password, this doesn't affect me, except for the exports I often provide a couple of people, but I did report it to two PW companies to alert them the 1PIF format has changed and they'll need to look at modifying their import process. I'm guessing folks who use the import processes often will soon start whining to them. Thanks again for all your help - and Happy New Year!

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@LarryMcJ

I get it. Just wanted to provide you with a little more guidance in case you wanted to explore the possible triggers for the other password managers import issues. If I were trying to figure this out, I'd use a trial and error approach, trying a 1PIF with a single entry, add a few more, etc. until I found the triggering input. Then, from that, see what inside the structure is the issue.

But I can see not wanting to pursue this, since it doesn't directly impact you.

Best wishes, and Happy New Year.

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    Options

@Mrc - In an effort to help out my colleges, I did figure out a simple interim solution. The .1pif export files that wouldn't import into the PW managers they use (Bitwarden, Dashlane and LastPass) imported just fine into mSecure. So after importing into mSecure I exported them as .CSV files which worked fine in Bitwarden, Dashlane and LastPass. Which brings up another oddity, the .CSV export from 1Password wouldn't work for them, either. I'm sure with some simple massaging, the 1Password .CSV files would work fine but it's not my problem. :)

They're on their own after this - I'm not buying another PW manager just to translate for them (I just downloaded the trial version of mSecure to see if the .1pif would import). But I suspect this will all settle out in the end when other PW managers figure out they need to fine-tune their import processes.

Thanks again, @Mrc. Your converter suite serves a great purpose in aiding folks moving to 1Password!

This discussion has been closed.