sri
sri
Community Member
edited January 2021 in 1Password in the Browser

I changed my password for Facebook using typical steps
1. Log into Facebook on Chrome (mac)
2. Navigate to password change section
3. Use 1P browser plugin to provide current password
4. Use 1P browser plugin to generate new password (save & copy option)
5. Above steps fills the new password
6. Save password on Facebook
7. 1P prompts to update existing record. I accept

Now all is well on the Facebook side.

If I open 1P on my Mac and check my entry for Facebook I see that the password was just changed. So far so good.

However when make 1P reveal the password it hasn't changed! Not cool. :(

My paranoia saved me because I have a habit of pasting the new password (after step 4 above) somewhere (like say a terminal window) until I can confirm that 1P has done the right thing.

What's going on? Did I do something wrong? Should I continue my paranoid ways?

Sri

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.7 (70700015) 1Password Store
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: OS X 10.14.6
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Hi @sri! I'm terribly sorry — I'm not sure how this post slipped through the cracks. This is a known issue we are investigating at the moment. For the time being, you should see that the new password was saved as a Password item as well. Did you have that, or do you see that if you try things again?

ref: dev/core/core#3948

• sri
    sri
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_michaelc Thanks for following up and confirming that this is a known issue. I thought I was losing my mind. I can consistently reproduce this problem.

The next time I have to change a password I will check if a password item is created as you have suggested. I hate to say it but right now it is a matter of trust. I don't trust that 1Password will do the right thing. So I have to copy the new password manually elsewhere. It will take a few times of doing this operation and seeing that the new password is indeed saved that the trust will be restored.

• Hey @sri. Are you a Chrome or Firefox user by chance? If so, I'd suggest giving our newer browser extension a try. Its filling and saving work differently (and more reliably!), and if you have a 1Password account it is the best way to use 1Password in your browser. I'd give it a try if you're able and willing. :smile:

https://support.1password.com/getting-started-1password-x/

• sri
    sri
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_michaelc I am using Brave (Chrome-based). I have tried 1password-x in the past and moved away. I don't like it.

• Have to authenticate every time with master password
    • Does not respond to the keyboard shortcut ⌘\
    • Does not accept touch ID (even though it was in beta way back in Dec '19)
    • Slight delay in response 'cos it has to reach out to 1password.com (?)
  • Hey @sri. Those are fair concerns (although the last one surprises me — it contains a local cache of data like all 1Password apps, and things seem speedy to me, as a daily user of that extension). We should have an update to the Touch ID situation this year. Keep your eyes peeled. :smile: If you do give it another try and have any feedback to share at that time, please let us know.

• sri
    sri
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_michaelc The latency is not in the deal breaker category. The other things are much more so. Also it appears that 1Password X is geared towards those who don't have/want 1Password installed locally (not my case). Also touch-id might be moot based on what I am hearing about touch-bar's days being numbered.

• I would love a new MacBook Pro without a Touch Bar. :smile: But yes, 1Password X does not support local vaults; you're correct on that.

Regarding your original issue, then, the fix will be coming out in a beta before it hits stable, so if you're interested in getting the fix sooner, I'd recommending hopping on the beta train for 1Password for Mac. I'm hoping we'll see the fix pushed out soon. 🤞

https://support.1password.com/betas/

• sri
    sri
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_michaelc Thanks for the update.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On behalf of ag_michaelc, you are very welcome :)

This discussion has been closed.