How to keep local vaults when upgrading to a family account?

hl1040
hl1040
Community Member

Dear Support,
I am an 1PW user since 2012 (MacApp store license) and decided to take advantage of your upgrade offer for a Family account, because of the end of the Safari-extension-support (1PW 6.8.8 under MacOS 10.13.6) as well as the need of an additional 1PW licence.

Problem: After creating my new family account and downloading the new 1PW7 app I noticed, that my local vault is only opened in Read-only-mode, your 1PW7 app is requesting a another new license and my 1PW6 app was moved to a zip-file and cannot be used anymore, program hangs on startup after entering the master password - a very confusing and disappointed experience!!!
Using your family account license obviously has the condition to move my vault to your servers, which was not communicated so far to me.

BUT: for my personal & company security reasons, I do NOT want to move and store my personal vault on any cloud-source and therefore used only local sync mechanism and WLAN-sync with iPhone and iPad so far.

Can you please give me information, how to proceed to

• keep my 1PW vault localy stored and synced,
  • get Safari 1PWmini support,
  • get an additional licence for my partner, sharing some pw's with him,
  • don't be forced, to move to another pw-manager product?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Hannes

1Password Version: 6.8.8 to 7.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS 10.13.6
Sync Type: local, WLANsyn
Referrer: forum-search:keep vault local with family account

Comments

• @hannes

Membership is the best way forward with 1Password. You might be interested in looking into how 1Password protects your data.

If you created an account and you applied that account to your installation the vault should not open in read-only mode. Have you added the account to your installation?

• hl1040
    hl1040
    Community Member

Hi,
    I didn't move my local vault to the new family acct, because I do not want that my personal date is stored on cloud servers outside of the EU and outside my LAN as I wrote before.
    Can you confirm, that using a family acct with 1PW7 always means that vault CANNOT be stored and synced only localy.
    Thanks Hannes

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@hl1040:

If you keep your vault stored either on your device locally, or on a third-party cloud like Dropbox or iCloud, then it won't be synced to 1Password.com. That's certainly an option you have if you prefer to configure things that way, even if you have a Membership.

This discussion has been closed.