How to get password generator to generate proper length passwords?

Some websites restrict how long your password can be. The default 1password seems to be using is around 24 characters. Some sites only allow 16, and others 12. It depends on the site.

How do I set up "password generator profiles" with different length limits or have 1password ask me a length / criteria when generating the password in Chrome?

Simplest solution would be a second "Generate Password" option called "Generate Password with Criteria" that pops up the other password generator with the slider and complexity checkboxes...

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @xantari ,

1Password has a built-in password generator where you can edit/create your own recipes, but you didn't mention any information about your setup. Which version of 1Password are you using? Are you on a Mac or a Windows computer? Which extension is installed in your browser?

For example, this is how you reach the generator if you are using the old companion extension: https://support.1password.com/change-website-password/
    But if you're using the 1Password X extension, you'll need to click its icon on the top right corner of your browser, then select the big PLUS icon and click on "Password Generator".

• xantari
    xantari
    Community Member

Can you add an easier shortcut to 1Password x under the suggestions menu? Or can I assign a hot key such as Ctrl +alt + G to bring Up the advance generator

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @xantari ,

The shortcut to bring up the generator is CTRL+G, but you'll need to first open 1Password X. So if you're in Chrome, you'll want to press CTRL+SHIFT+X to bring up 1Password X, then CTRL+G to bring up the generator. You can perform these while holding CTRL constantly without releasing it, which is quick once you get used to it.

Here are all the keyboard shortcuts: https://support.1password.com/getting-started-1password-x/#use-keyboard-shortcuts

This discussion has been closed.