Can’t change login passwords directly anymore

Omen
Omen
Community Member

Hi

For a new website, I generated a secure password with dashes with my iPhone using 1P 7.7 on iOS 14.2. I then saved the login.

When I pasted this password on the website, I found out that they require ONE capital letter, ONE number, and ONE special character. So I went into my previously saved login in 1P, hit Edit and went to change the password for their requirements. But I couldn’t change the displayed password since it’s shown in the password field as all dots. If I pick Reveal Password it shows me the password, but I can’t edit it. The field seems to be display-only.

This problem is occurring on all my logins. I could always edit my passwords previously.

Please advise me what’s wrong.

Thanks.

Comments

• ag_tommy
    edited January 2021

@Omen

I apologize for the delay. It took me a bit to replicate this, but now that I can, I think I see where you're having trouble. I have filed an issue for our developers to investigate.

A few members of the team could not replicate this behavior. However, I was able to using my iPhone 12 Pro. If you don't mind me asking, what iPhone are you using? I can include that in the report.

• Omen
    Omen
    Community Member

I’m using an iPhone XS MAX with 256 Gb.

Thanks for looking into my problem; it’s driving me crazy.

• RayVino
    RayVino
    Community Member

I am having the same issue on ipad7 iOS 14.3

• @Omen

Let's make sure we are on the same page.

I open the password and enter edit mode, where the dot's obscure it. Just below the dot's, you should see the actual password. What I found was it's hard for me to determine where the cursor is. I can see it blinking in the dot's section. If you place your finger above the cursor, you can drag it to a position. The problem is I can't determine what that position is when using long passwords. Does that sound like what you are experiencing?

• @RayVino

Can you tell me more about what you are experiencing? I don't want to assume it's the same exact issue. Though it could be. Thanks

• Omen
    Omen
    Community Member
    edited January 2021

@ag_tommy

Yes, that’s exactly my problem. IIRC the older 1P password generator cog on the right of the dotted password did not appear. I think there was a separate button that you press to generate a special password. This was when when password generation screen pops up where you can set the length, type of password, characters, etc.

To show me the real password and not be able to edit it directly is clumsy and counter intuitive. The way it is now, I have to copy the current password into, say Notes, change the password there, copy it, then go back to 1P, clear the old password, and paste the changed one.

To sum up what I’m saying, the password generator cog should only come up when you hit a button to bring it up, not for every password. Or, leave it like it is but make the real password display editable. Even with Conceal Password set to OFF, the password still comes up with dots, but with the non editable real password shown below.

I hope I explained the situation clearly.

Omen

Edit: sorry ☹️ I thought you were asking me for additional info. I need to go back to grade school and learn to read again 😂

• RayVino
    RayVino
    Community Member

yes @Omen what you described in your last post is the same issue that I am having.

• ag_tommy
    edited January 2021

@RayVino

Thanks for the confirmation.

ref: dev/apple/issues#5210

This discussion has been closed.