MrC's tools for exporting keychain in macOS Big Sur ?

cbarracbarra Junior Member

Hi, did anybody have success in exporting keychain elements with @MrC's tools under macOS Big Sur? Even the script to fill in the keychain's password while copying iCloud's keychain items to a local keychain seems to fail on my side.
Thanks!


1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 11.1
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

  • MrCMrC Community Moderator
    edited January 5

    @cbarra

    Many people have used the Get_Safari12_Passswords script to successfully pull their iCloud Keychain passwords from Safari. I've tested it under Big Sur, and others have used it under this macOS version.

    The Get_Safari12_Passswords script will not fill in your Mac's password for you - that's a manual step that you must perform. Regarding:

    Even the script to fill in the keychain's password while copying iCloud's keychain items to a local keychain seems to fail on my side

    Perhaps you are using the older AppleScript in the README documentation to assist in filling in the password? If you are trying to get your iCloud Keychain passwords from Safari, use Get_Safari12_Passswords and not the old AppleScript. I haven't tested this in a while now, as the Copy/Paste method for copying iCloud Keychain items into a local keychain hasn't worked reliably, or at all, since Sierra, as mentioned:

    Conversion of the iCloud Keychain requires copying entries to a new local keychain (there is no direct access to it). However, this is problematic in macOS Sierra and above. Some entries will not copy, and you will receive non-specific error messages.

    Please watch the screen video of how the Get_Safari12_Passswords process works here, then head over to the converter suite thread next.

    Exporting Safari passwords (stored via iCloud Keychain) via the Get_Safari12_Passwords script in the converter suite will place them into a CSV file on your Desktop, which you then convert to a 1Password 1PIF file to import into 1Password.

    If I am not understanding something about your question, please let me know.

    I'm here if you need additional guidance.

  • cbarracbarra Junior Member

    Thanks. I had tried the Get_Safari12 script too, but it ran into errors saying that the programme should be launched or quit. It may be because I am using the OS in another language than English. I will run more tests tomorrow and come back to you. Thanks a lot!

  • MrCMrC Community Moderator

    @cbarra

    I'll await your feedback.

  • cbarracbarra Junior Member

    Thanks @MrC. Switching to English made the trick. The conversion to CSV does not take all safari logins yet (there is an error at some point), but by removing in Safari the ones imported successfully in 1Password I should be able to do it in batches. Thanks a lot for the quick reaction.

  • MrCMrC Community Moderator

    @cbarra

    Good to know. If you can figure out which record is causing the issue, that would be great to know what about it is triggering the failure.

  • cbarracbarra Junior Member

    I started checking one by one, removing those which were properly updated. After a hundred, with a few hundreds still to go I relaunched the process, it seems that it has completed but at the end I still get System Events got an error: AppleEvent timed out." number -1712

  • MrCMrC Community Moderator

    @cbarra

    Are you using the system while running the script?

    Is this a really old, slow system?

    Is there something about the last entry in the password list that might be causing the issue?

    It's nearly impossible for me to guess at what might be causing the issue, and I'm not sure how to replicate it.

  • cbarracbarra Junior Member

    Hi @MrC , no I let the computer run the script and did not use it. The last entry did not have a username. But I also had quite a long list (Nearly 1400 passwords) accumulated over the years! In any case, no worries, everything is under control. If I manage to identify the entries that created issues, I will share them with you after changing the passwords ;-)
    Thanks again!

  • MrCMrC Community Moderator

    Thanks for the feedback and extra info, @cbarra.

    I doubt I'd ever be able to create a 1400+ password test environment to stress the script! :-)

    I've tested the cases of no values in fields, but something is obviously still wrong. If I have some time, I'll reevaluate the script again (as I'd like to incorporate it into the on of the macOSConvertHelper).

  • cbarracbarra Junior Member

    @MrC could you add some lines in the script to generate a log ? Then I can review it and compare it with the csv if that helps.

  • MrCMrC Community Moderator

    @cbarra

    I could do that. I have some commented out lines that "say" the diag info, which has been helpful in debugging the script. But that would be obnoxiously unhelpful with a large password database.

  • MrCMrC Community Moderator
    edited May 3

    I'm commenting on this old thread, for anyone that encounters it in the future.

    I've added many enhancements to the Get_Safari12_Passwords script, and reworked much of it to better handle large keychains. As requested in this thread, it can log to an external file, to help in future debugging or problem solving.

    This thread describes the recent changes.

  • ag_anaag_ana

    Team Member

    Thank you MrC!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file