Is the 1Password login app or browser extension based?

pL86
pL86
Community Member

Hello, could someone clarify if the 1Password login is through the application or is it through the browser extension? I have been a longtime Dashlane user where you used to log into the app at startup and browser extensions sync'ed to the app. You did not have to individually log into each browser extension, the login through the app handled the browser extension permissions. Recently, Dashlane decided to change their manager to browser-based, deprecating the app and now, login is done through the browser extension. That means each browser now requires its own separate login - on my Mac, that's three separate login each time I want to use Safari, Chrome and Firefox. Even more irritating, if you clear cookies, which I regularly do and have set as the default on Firefox when the browser is closed, you must re-log into Dashlane again. It appears that the new and improved extension-based Dashlane will require me to log in dozens of time each week. I am now consider other password managers and would appreciate if someone could clarify whether I would encounter the same with 1Password. Thanks very much.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @pL86! Welcome to the forum!

Hello, could someone clarify if the 1Password login is through the application or is it through the browser extension?

The password is normally the one _for your 1Password Membership account. If you add this 1Password account to the app or to the browser extension, 1Password will unlock with that Master Password. More specifically, the way 1Password unlocks is:

• If a Primary vault exists, then it unlocks using the Master Password for that vault, regardless of what, if any, memberships are signed in
    • If a single 1Password membership is signed in, then it unlocks using the Master Password for that membership account
    • If multiple memberships are signed in, then it unlocks using the Master Password of the first added membership

These are each exclusive scenarios. For example, if multiple memberships are signed in, you cannot unlock 1Password using the Master Password of the second account that was added.

This discussion has been closed.