I changed my masterpassword but 1password doesn't recognize it when I login.

I changed my masterpassword but 1password does not recognize it when I login. It only accepts my original password. My profile shows the new password. I'm really confused.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:I changed my masterpassword but 1password doesn't recognize it when I login.

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @brucefocht! Welcome to the forum!

My profile shows the new password.

Can you please clarify what you mean by this? What profile are you referring to?

• brucefocht
    brucefocht
    Community Member

Hi @ag_ana I changed my master password in my personal profile. The one I use to login to 1Password in my browser. 1Password authentication will not accept this new password at login, still requiring me to use the original password. Once logged in, I can reveal my master password in my profile and it shows the new password, not the original. For example, if my original password was 1234 and I changed it to 5678. When I attempt to login with 5678, it is not accepted or recognized. 1234 still works. In my profile, under masterpassword the reveal shows 5678. I’m confused

• ag_tommy
    edited January 2021

@brucefocht

I most often see this occur when someone has moved to one of our membership offerings, and they have inadvertently left a Primary vault on their device. The Primary vault can open with a different Master Password. It sounds as if you changed the Master Password successfully. Do you see a Primary vault on your device?

If so, please follow these instructions.

1. Check to make sure all of your data is available on https://my.1password.com and ensure you have a copy of your Emergency Kit.

2. If needed copy or move any items from your Primary vault to your membership vault (Personal/Private).

3. Remove the Primary vault.

Your device should now unlock with the same Master Password you use to access 1Password.com

--

The way 1Password unlocks is:

1. If a Primary vault exists, then it will unlock using the Master Password for that vault, regardless of what, if any, memberships are signed in.

2. If a single 1Password membership is signed in, then unlock using the Master Password for that membership account.

3. If multiple memberships are signed in, then unlock using the Master Password of the first added membership.

These are each exclusive scenarios. For example, if multiple memberships are signed in, you cannot unlock 1Password using the Master Password of the second account that was added.

This discussion has been closed.