Quote marks in Secure Notes

Options

I have just moved to 1Password from Dashlane, an involved process that involved manually copying and pasting 350 secure notes from Dashlane into 1Password because Dashlane does not allow exporting of Secure Notes.

This process has gone well, and I am now up an running in 1Password. I did find one issue, however. Some of my Secure Notes include passwords (for various reasons), and if these passwords include a pair of single quotes, the 1PasswordX extension in Firefox converts the text to "Code" format:

If I then copy and paste this, I get: i<agncRdmFaQ}=9A+( which is missing the single quotes around Fa.

This only happens in the 1PassswordX extension - at 1password.com and in the desktop app, the password is not formatted and the copied and pasted text includes the quotes, so the behaviour is not consistent. Even if the formatting of the text between the quotes is a feature, shouldn't the copied text include the quote marks? I have now changed this password, by the way!

It is not a major issue, as the correct text is available from 1password.com or the app.

I am looking forward to many years of happy 1Password use!

1Password Version: 7.6.785
Extension Version: 1.22.3 on Firefox 84.0.2
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_michaelc
    edited January 2021
    Options

Hi @ja8028beea! What you're seeing is that that password was having Markdown processed.

https://support.1password.com/markdown/

There's not a way to turn off Markdown in 1Password X, but I'll let the team know you'd like to see this option, which would alleviate the issue you have run into. If you were to copy the data in Edit mode in one of the apps, the raw value would be processed, but if you copy text as it's displayed, then that text is what's copied.

Welcome to the family; let us know if we can help further!

• ja8028beea
    ja8028beea
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, that makes sense. It is not a major issue in any case, but my first action was to copy and paste from the display in the extension, which produces the wrong text. I can't find a way of escaping a line or section of text so that it is not formatted as Markdown. I can indent the line so it appears as preformatted text, but that then inserts character codes for special characters.

Now that I know, I will avoid copying and pasting from the extension.

• It would be quite an amount of work (when it'd probably be better to get the password into an actual password field), but what you could do is use a combination of Markdown and escaping characters to avoid Markdown.

That is, for

i<agncRdm`Fa`Q}=9A+(

you'd need to enter in

``i<agncRdm`Fa`Q}=9A+(``

Or you could do

which make it look more like a code block, but those are options if you really need them — although very easy to get convoluted quickly, making sure the right number of characters are in the right spots. :smile:

This discussion has been closed.