Failed to find the version of installed 1Password application

robertsustek119
robertsustek119
Community Member

MacOS 10.15.7, 1Password 6.8.9. When I click "Check for Updates..." the 1Password Updater brings up a dialog box that says "Update failed Failed to find the version of installed 1Password application." There is another dialog popup that says "You are up to date Thank you for running the latest version of 1Password!"
So I'm trying to understand if there is an update available or not?
Also, does 1Password 7 work without an online vault?
And does 1Password 7 require a subscription? Or can I just pay a one time upgrade fee?

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: not installed
OS Version: OS X 10.15.7
Sync Type: WLAN
Referrer: forum-search:Failed to find the version of installed 1Password application

Comments

• @robertsustek119

If you are clicking on the updater icon in the Dock or it is set to run automatically at startup, you will receive this error. The updater is not meant to be run manually. The reason you see the updater at all in the Dock is because of a part of macOS that keeps recently used items in the Dock. Prior to this macOS feature, users would not have seen the updater and not experienced this issue.

It's best to check for updates in one of two ways.

1. From the menu bar at the top of the screen, select 1Password > Check for Updates ...
    2. Open 1Password > Preferences > Updates > Check now

To remove the updater from the Dock. Click on the updater icon and hold the click. Drag the icon off of the Dock towards the middle of the screen. Once you see the word "Remove" appear near the icon, release the click.

1Password 6.8.9 is the latest version in the 1Password 6 series. 1Password 7 is its successor.

Our memberships are the best possible path forward.

This discussion has been closed.