Restore backup from 1p4_zip file

Alex_Ok
Alex_Ok
Community Member

Hello,

I am using 1Password Version 7.7 (70700015) with Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina).

I have a back up in .1p4_zip format that I had saved in my Dropbox folder while using an older version of 1Password. It contains 190 items.

I am trying to restore from this back up by following the steps below:

1.  Click on the advanced Tab in the preferences window
2.  Click on "allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password.com accounts
3.  Click on the newly revealed Backup Tab in the preferences window
4.  Click on find backup
5.  Choose that 1p4_zip file so that it brings it into the backup tab
6.  Select that entry in the list on the backup tab
7.  Click Restore

Yet, upon relaunching 1Password, the vault does not populate with any items.

Is there any way I can restore that backup or is all hope lost?

Thank you in advance for your support.

Kind regards,

Alex

1Password Version: Version 7.7
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: Mac OS 10.15.7
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Alex_Ok! Welcome to the forum!

I have a back up in .1p4_zip format that I had saved in my Dropbox folder while using an older version of 1Password. It contains 190 items.

When you say "older version of 1Password", how old would that be? Do you remember what version of 1Password that was?

• Alex_Ok
    Alex_Ok
    Community Member

Hello @ag_ana ,

Thank you for the warm and welcoming message. It’s fantastic to be a member of the community.

In the past, I used 1Password 4. I understand there have been many changes since the launch of said version.

I have no reasonable explanation, but after my post, the missing items appeared in the local vault. In the meantime, I exported these items to a PIF file.

Today, I re-opened 1Password. To my surprise, the items were missing again.

As discussed earlier, I had already saved a PIF file with the correct number of vault items. I resolved the issue by following these steps:

• Cleared all 1Password data by going to Help > Troubleshooting > Reset All 1Password Data.
    • Logged in again using my 1password.com credentials.
    • Imported the saved 1PIF file by going to the menu bar and choosing File > Import > Other > Import a 1PIF File

I cannot tell what might have happened in this use case, but I am happy all items are now saved and restored.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

All the best to you, the community, as well as the talented team at 1Password.com.

Best,

Alex

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the update @Alex_Ok! I am glad to hear that everything is looking fine once again. It would be difficult to guess what could have happened at this point, perhaps something funny caused by a backup made so many versions ago, but I am happy that everything is up and running :)

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.