How do you set up a partial vault share between Windows 10 & iOS devices?

Options
55208wcgk
55208wcgk
Community Member

Hello,

I have a 1P Families account. I primarily access it from a v7.6.785 desktop app installed on a Windows 10 Pro MS Surface Book.

What I’d like to do is grant access to some of my data to another person. That person will be accessing the data from both an Apple iPad 6th Generation running iPadOS 1.2 & an Apple iPhone8 running 13.3.1, both of which I plan to upgrade 14.3 as well.

To that end I created a new vault. For reference I’ll call my master vault “Master” & the new vault “User_2”.

After creating the User_2 vault, I shared certain records from my Master vault by right clicking on them & choosing “Share \ User_2 \ Copy”. This worked fine & I see the records when choosing the User_2 vault.

What I’m uncertain of, is how to set up the User_2 account on that person’s iPad & iPhone. As noted, I do NOT want them to have access to all the records in my Master vault, JUST the ones in the User_2 vault.

Is this something you can assist me with?

And one last question: what’s the difference between doing a “Share \ User_2 \ Copy” & “Share \ Shared \ Copy”?

• 1Password Windows 10 App Version: 7.6.785
  • 1Password Windows 10 Safari Extension Version(s): 4.7.5.90
  • iPad 6th Gen & iPhone 8 App Version: iPadOS 1.2
  • Operating System Version: Windows Version10.0.18363 Build 18363
  • App iOS Operating System Version: 13.3.1
  • Sync Type: Families

Thanks so much. 1P is definitely my go-to app.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @55208wcgk!

What I’m uncertain of, is how to set up the User_2 account on that person’s iPad & iPhone. As noted, I do NOT want them to have access to all the records in my Master vault, JUST the ones in the User_2 vault.

If you are using a Families account, you just need to invite this user to the account, and share just the User_2 vault with them:

Add and remove family members

And one last question: what’s the difference between doing a “Share \ User_2 \ Copy” & “Share \ Shared \ Copy”?

I can see the Share > Shared > Copy menu in 1Password for Windows, but I don't see the other option. Where are you seeing it exactly?

• 55208wcgk
    55208wcgk
    Community Member
    Options

Hey, Ana

I am using a Families account. Think I see where to go - to confirm: I need to invite the new user by logging into 1password.com & NOT through my desktop app. Is that correct?

Regarding sharing, I see “Share \ User_2 \ Copy” because I created a new vault (User_2) for the person I want to share records with. I see it when I right-click on a record & click “Share". Just not sure what the difference is between sharing the record by choosing “Share \ User_2 \ Copy” versus choosing "Shared \ Copy". Make sense?

Thanks, Ana. Really appreciate the quick response.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@55208wcgk:

I need to invite the new user by logging into 1password.com & NOT through my desktop app. Is that correct?

Correct :+1:

Regarding sharing, I see “Share \ User_2 \ Copy” because I created a new vault (User_2) for the person I want to share records with. I see it when I right-click on a record & click “Share". Just not sure what the difference is between sharing the record by choosing “Share \ User_2 \ Copy” versus choosing "Shared \ Copy". Make sense?

I see what you mean now! Shared is the default Shared vault in a Families account, it is created automatically when you open a Families account, and every user in the Families account has access to it. User_2 is the vault you created instead. Since you can move items from one vault to any other vault in the account, 1Password will show you every vault in your account to choose from.

For example, if you created another vault called User_3, you would see an additional entry under the Share menu.

This discussion has been closed.