Chrome Extension for Mac

Options
rcornish
rcornish
Community Member

The 1P7 Safari extension is working great, but I don't get the same experience from the Chrome extension. Should the Chrome extension offer contextual password suggestions in web forms like the Safari version?

Also, when I try to update my Chrome extension, it only asks me if I want to remove it. Chrome extension version is 4.7.5.90

1Password Version: 7.7
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90 (Chrome)
OS Version: OSX 10.15.7
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• vishalsheth
    vishalsheth
    Community Member
    Options

I'm facing the asme issue. There's some issue with Chrome extension for 1password.

• @rcornish

The Companion App Extension (v. 4.7.5.90) does not offer inline suggestions like Safari does. However, 1Password X does. It's only available to users using a membership. You can see some examples of 1Password X here. Does that look more like what you were asking?

cc/ @vishalsheth

• rcornish
    rcornish
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry... I guess I don't understand. I'm running 1P 7.7 and when I "Check for Updates..." it says I'm up to date. Is 1PX a new app? Does it require a subscription?

• @rcornish

1Password X is the newest generation of our browser extension. It works exclusively with our memberships. It can also function independently without the Mac app being installed.

1Password 7.7 is the newest version of the Mac app. It makes use of our Safari extension and our companion app extension for the Firefox and Chrome browsers. The Companion app extension cannot function independently and must rely on communication with the Mac app to work. It does not require a membership to work.

You can use a mash-up of all of the above. I use 1Password 7.7 and the Safari extension, and then 1Password X for Chrome. The Safari inline menu is similar to the menus in the password and username fields you see in 1Password X.

• rcornish
    rcornish
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the explanation.

• rudy
    Options

@rcornish,

Adding to what @ag_tommy has said...

Keeping in mind that 1Password X has no integration with 1Password 7.7, so the icon in the menubar and the global keyboard shortcuts you're maybe accustomed to using to fill into the page won't work and 1Password 7 will tell you that you don't have an extension installed.

• vishalsheth
    vishalsheth
    Community Member
    Options

This is the Chrome extension I have which was installed through 1password app. Today I checked it didn't ask me. But it had 1Password X when it used to ask. Are both extensions from 1Password? Why different versions?

• ag_tommy
    edited January 2021
    Options

@vishalsheth

Yes, both extensions are from 1Password. Each extension has different uses. Our companion app extension works directly with the Mac app. 1Password X originally started as a way for 1Password business users to use 1Password when they could not install the Mac app when they could install browser extensions.

I talked about it a few posts above this one. Please see if it helps to answer any questions you may have.

• jackl4
    jackl4
    Community Member
    Options

Will the 1P X extension use the same vault as 1P 7.7 on my mac?

• @jackl4

If you are using a 1Password.com membership, yes. 1Password X cannot make use of standalone vaults that are synced via a 3rd party.

This discussion has been closed.