Options
2»

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Mork:

For me, there are just some data that should not be on a server that, however "secure" it is today, could be harvested or hacked tomorrow. That password data is, for me, just too sensitive to take that risk.

You are absolutely correct to be extremely cautious before trusting such important and personal data to us.

As you may know, your 1Password data is end-to-end encrypted. This means that the keys that encrypt your data are never available to us or to anyone you don’t explicitly share your data with.

What you may not know is that the data we hold is not vulnerable to password cracking. Were an attacker to get hold of the data we store, they still would not be able to access your 1Password data even if an automated password guessing attack figured out your Master Password. This is because your 1Password Master Password is combined with your Secret Key (a unique, randomly generated combination of 34 letters and numbers), which is stored ONLY on your devices. This makes the encrypted data held on our servers useless to an attacker.

We’ve also gone out of our way to limit the amount of unencrypted metadata we hold. We cannot learn which websites you have logins for, nor do we know when you use them. This is part of our Privacy By Design approach. We cannot lose, use, or abuse data we never get in the first place. While we work very hard to make sure our systems won’t be compromised, we’ve designed 1Password so you and your data remain secure and private even if they are. You can read more about our Privacy By Design here:

About the 1Password security model

For a more in-depth analysis, you can also dive into our white paper here:

https://1password.com/teams/white-paper/

If you have any other concerns, I would love for you to share them with me so we can discuss them together. Even after 13 years of being in the security and privacy business, we know there’s always room to learn and improve.

• Mork
    Mork
    Community Member
    Options

That's fine until quantum computing or other QBIT model can crack the encryption. :)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Mork:

Since you mentioned quantum computing, you might be interested in reading this post the thoughts of our Chief Defender Against the Dark Arts about this very topic ;)

• Mork
    Mork
    Community Member
    Options

There have been over 11 Billion Records Hacked by many compannies as reported. I'm just being cautious. Thanks.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Absolutely :+1: :)

• AgileBrad
    AgileBrad
    Community Member
    edited January 2021
    Options

I did everything suggested and I still get he nag screen after each time I try to use 1password to auto fill passwords. I found this support page and I am pretty sure I purchased my license before March 27, 2018. It was a one time fee that was high for apps from the apple app store. I just upgraded to the new macbook pro M1 and now I get that annoying nag screen all the time! I need it to stop... this is very upsetting since I purchased your product and now I feel you are telling me I need to purchase it again since you did something I didn't ask for!! How do we get this resolved. I have wasted enough time messing with this.

I confirmed that I purchased 1password on 1/26/17 from what was then iTunes for $70.35. It was a one time purchase and I created a 1password account using my personal @gmail.com email... which I can't login to anymore because I don't have or can't find my secret key... What do I do to resolve this!??

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@AgileBrad:

I confirmed that I purchased 1password on 1/26/17 from what was then iTunes

Please make sure you download the correct version of 1Password that you purchased. If you purchased in 2017, that was 1Password 6, but it sounds like you installed the latest 1Password 7 from the Mac App Store, which is a paid upgrade.

Instead of downloading 1Password directly from the Mac App Store search results, please download it from your purchase history, and you will get the correct version that you purchased :+1:

• AgileBrad
    AgileBrad
    Community Member
    Options

I already downloaded the 1Password7 and then did the work to fully quit the app and download 1Password7 your app store. So now I need to fully quit again and delete v7 then download from the mac app store... is that correct? Also will 1Password6 work on the new M1 macbook pro?

• @AgileBrad

The full instructions for switch to the website version are here.

It sounds as if you have 1Password from the Mac App Store running now. If so, completely quit it, and then install the 1Password version you downloaded directly from us.

1Password 6 has been retired and hasn't received updates in over 2 years. As a security focused company we'd always recommend running the latest versions of all of your software, but especially your operating system, web browser(s), and 1Password. If you opt to use to an earlier version that is your prerogative, but it isn't something we can recommend. That said, licenses never expire, and so you can continue using any version you've licensed for as long as it works for you. In that case I would strongly suggest that using version 6 should be considered a temporary measure. As things continue to evolve around the now retired v6 it will be less and less practical to continue using it. For example, 1Password 6 is not compatible with modern versions of Safari.

This discussion has been closed.