1Password slows down IMac Big Sur OS Startup

Options
curtpusa
curtpusa
Community Member

I have 2 iMacs with 1Password ver. 7.7 & running OS Big Sur. The newer of the two is very slow staring up. This IMac shows it loading up 1Password during the startup process & appears to be the cause of the extended startup. It is not listed as a startup item in Mac preferences. It is so slow that if I select an app like Mail or Safari before it fully starts up I will get a warning asking if I want to force quit the app. I believe this issue started up with the installation of Big Sur which has increased the startup time considerably vs OS Catalina on both iMacs. Both iMacs have fusion drives & would boot up in 30 seconds under Catalina, Now it takes 2 to 3 minutes to complete a full startup.

1Password Version: 7.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 11.1
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:1Password slows down IMac Big Sur OS Startup

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @curtpusa!

It is not listed as a startup item in Mac preferences.

If you right click on the 1Password icon in the Dock and select Options from the menu that appears, is Open at Login perhaps selected?

• curtpusa
    curtpusa
    Community Member
    Options

1Password open at Login is not selected.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@curtpusa:

Do you by chance select the option to reopen previously open windows after reboot? If 1Password is launching automatically, but it's not set to launch at login, I wonder if the setting is coming from somewhere else.

• curtpusa
    curtpusa
    Community Member
    Options

I do not select the option to reopen previously open windows because I know it slows down the startup. Just verified quitting 1Password before restarting. Still see 1Password starting up when logging in.

• @curtpusa

I have most often seen a slowdown when macOS is rationing resources. We have a helper item that starts at startup. When macOS is rationing resources, I have seen the 1Password Dock icon show a light like it's active. After the startup sequence ends, the Dock light is out, and only our helper is left in the menubar. This behavior can be exasperated with startup scans from antivirus and malware scanners.

If your Mac has limited memory, you might temporarily reduce startup items to troubleshoot in more detail. It's certainly strange to go from 30 seconds previously to what you're experiencing now.

• curtpusa
    curtpusa
    Community Member
    Options

Both iMacs have 16gb of memory & no shortage of HD space. I have removed all startup items for some time now. I am running CleanMyMac X app on both iMacs. The dramatic increase in startup time with Big Sur was really a disappointment. Guess I might be running out of options, other than trying a clean install of Big Sur. Still open to any other possible suggestions short of a clean install.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@curtpusa:

Both iMacs have 16gb of memory

I believe my colleague Tommy meant "available memory". You could have 16 GB in total, but most of it used.

• curtpusa
    curtpusa
    Community Member
    Options

Using Activity Monitor after restart it is showing Memory used 4.48, and Cached Memory 3.68 so it looks like there is plenty of available memory.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@curtpusa:

Perfect, thank you for the confirmation. I would like to ask you to generate a diagnostics report from your Mac and email it to us to support+forum@agilebits.com, so we can take a closer look at why this is happening to you.

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and connect it with this forum discussion.

Looking forward to your message!

• curtpusa
    curtpusa
    Community Member
    Options

EPS-17988-169

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@curtpusa:

Thank you! I confirm that I have managed to locate your diagnostics report in our system :+1: We will continue the conversation via email.

ref: EPS-17988-169

This discussion has been closed.