Storing Bank Logins - Natwest UK

Options
In_Search_Of_Answers
In_Search_Of_Answers
Community Member
edited January 2021 in 1Password in the Browser

Can someone advise me how to store the login details for one of my bank accounts. The account is with Natwest in UK. The login procedure takes place over 2 different screens and the second screen requires a randomly selected series of characters from the PIN and Password to be entered.

See the screenshots below.

SCREEN 1

SCREEN 2

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @In_Search_Of_Answers!

I am afraid that I don't think 1Password will be able to fill password entries like that, where the information to enter changes every time, and where you are not asked for the whole password, just part of it. Normally, having login items split over two pages is not a problem, so I am leaving here the instructions on how to make that work for future reference:

Sign in to websites with username and password split across multiple pages

• In_Search_Of_Answers
    Options

Logins that require specific characters from a password are not uncommon. I would have thought this would be something 1Password had a solution to.

If there really is not a solution for this, can I suggest it gets added as a feature request?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2021
    Options

@In_Search_Of_Answers:

Logins that require specific characters from a password are not uncommon. I would have thought this would be something 1Password had a solution to.

I know these are common in the UK, I have seen this usually mentioned for banking websites there. Personally, I have not seen it anywhere else so far.

If there really is not a solution for this, can I suggest it gets added as a feature request?

Certainly, I will be happy to pass your feedback to the developers :+1: To avoid giving you false hopes though, I don't think this is something we will plan to implement as it has been discussed in the past, and this sort of login form hopefully will never exist anymore soon as it does not add security, just inconvenience, but I can definitely take a note of your feedback.

• In_Search_Of_Answers
    Options

Having dug through the forum, there are feature requests for handling nth character passwords dating back to 2014.

I would have thought that 7 years would have been long enough to get this implemented! I really wouldn't have thought it should be that difficult - am I missing something?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2021
    Options

@In_Search_Of_Answers:

I don't think it's a matter of difficulty, just of company decisions and prioritization of features to work on. Unfortunately this specific one has not made the cut yet, and as I mentioned above, I don't think it will be implemented any time soon, if ever. Sorry if this is not what you would like to hear, but I prefer to be honest and not give you false hopes rather than lying to you :+1:

• In_Search_Of_Answers
    In_Search_Of_Answers
    Community Member
    edited January 2021
    Options

@ag_ana The problem is, whilst it may not add any extra security, this system is what most UK banks use. It is what they've used for the last decade and I can't see it changing anytime soon.

As the UK is typically viewed as an early adopter in tech, and not a small market, I'd have thought you might want to consider it as a rather useful feature for a not insignificant subset of your user base.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@In_Search_Of_Answers:

Noted! Thank you once again for sharing your thoughts and wishes :+1:

This discussion has been closed.