I can no longer select the number of symbols and numbers when generating passwords. (v7.7)

Options
OhMyMy
OhMyMy
Community Member

When creating a password in v7.7, the current options for Random Password are switching symbols and numbers on or off. I can no longer select the number of symbols or numbers when generating passwords.

Also, what happened to "Avoid ambiguous characters"? That was a big help when making passwords that would have to be typed or read.

Please bring back these functions. I would like to have that level of control back.

–––

In addition to these, something else I would like to have is the ability to control the case of letters (Random Password) – all upper case, all lower case, mixed case.

1Password Version: 7.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.15.7
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• ponuzi
    ponuzi
    Community Member
    Options

Ok I thought I broke it and it's been driving me nuts because I want more symbols and numbers.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @OhMyMy! Welcome to the forum!

You are correct that the password generator has received some updates recently. In summary, these changes were made to improve security since they increase the randomness of the generated passwords. If you are interested in the technical details behind it, please see this post from our security team.

• OhMyMy
    OhMyMy
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, but I want to control this "randomness" myself. One person's improvement is another's regression. I think this is a change for the worse.

If you wanted to increase the randomness, you could have just added a switch to toggle the controls on and off, or a master toggle to switch between user control and full application control.

Your answer didn't address the loss of the ability to avoid ambiguous characters. When generating passwords for people for their mobile devices, for instance, and copy/paste doesn't work or is just too awkward, they have to enter passwords manually. Not everybody has perfect eyesight or coordination, or even computer savvy for that matter, and ambiguous characters can really be a problem.

I will read the post you mentioned but I see already in its introductory paragraphs it says, "we have exposed less of that power to the user." It angers me when developers remove control from the user. I guess they think they know best but it doesn't give users much credit and, to be blunt, it can be insulting.

*** Searching the forum was not working for me (see my other post – https://1password.community/discussion/comment/585540#Comment_585540) which is why I started a new discussion. I will see if I can link my comments here to that one, unless you can merge them yourself.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@OhMyMy:

Your answer didn't address the loss of the ability to avoid ambiguous characters.

I believe the idea is the same: choosing to remove some characters was lowering the randomness of the generated password. I don't believe our security team has plans to change this behavior back to the way it was, but if you have any questions after reading that post, please let me know and I will be happy to ask the team to address them for you :+1:

This discussion has been closed.