Autofilling address is removing periods and commas from street name

Options
gespinha
gespinha
Community Member
edited January 2021 in 1Password in the Browser

Hi there,

I've recently tried using autofilling for addresses from within an identity, but my address has periods and commas on the street name and 1Password is removing any kind of periods or commas from the street name I've configured.

Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 1.22.3
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @gespinha!

I could not reproduce this in 1Password X: if I enter an address with periods and commas, 1Password X does not remove them for me:

Are you able to consistently reproduce this?

• gespinha
    gespinha
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @ag_ana, yes I'm able to consistently reproduce this.

My street field is populated with something like: "Example str, N4567, House A" and when I autofill it pastes as "Example str N4567 House A".

You can test this in any address form online and it reproduces the problem every time.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@gespinha:

Ah so 1Password is not removing the periods and commas from your address as you originally said, it's just removing them when when you paste your address somewhere. Understood, thank you for the clarification!

You can test this in any address form online and it reproduces the problem every time.

I have just tested this here and I was able to paste the entire address, periods and commas included, so I wonder if there is something wrong with the specific websites that you are testing. Can you share the full URL where this is happening to you, so we can test it too?

• gespinha
    gespinha
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana This happens, for example, in Amazon.com, when I'm filling a new address.

My address is 1Password includes my apartment number, street and area all separated by commas in the street field, for example: "Apt 11, example str, N4567", but when I click the autofill button from within the extension menu it fills everything and in the "street" field of the Amazon address form it inserts "example str N4567". It actually removed the apartment and the commas in this case.

• Hey @gespinha. Commas are understood by 1Password to be indicators of line separation, so if the address field happens to be one field, then they're not included. In other cases, the commas would be used to be able to properly fill address line 1 and address line 2 fields, for example.

So we're taking this into account properly, what country is your address formatted for?

• gespinha
    gespinha
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @ag_michaelc

Commas are understood by 1Password to be indicators of line separation, so if the address field happens to be one field, then they're not included.

Commas are intended to help make the address readable when written in a single line, so removing them only makes sense when distributing the address across multiple fields, otherwise you risk altering the format of the address which results in a wrong address (like in my case).

what country is your address formatted for?

What I mentioned above applies for almost every country in the world. It's a worldwide standard, which is followed by most password managers. Is there any way 1Password can get this fixed?

Thanks!

• Hey @gespinha. I asked about your country mostly out of my own curiosity, I'll admit — but also because in the US, for example, the standard (at least by post office standards) the format would be

123 Main St Apt 456
    City, State Postal Code

In other words, with what I'm accustomed to, extra commas are not the norm. Now I know the US is not the rest of the world (and admittedly the US does some things different from everyone else :wink:), so I get that that doesn't make it the right way or anything. I was just curious. :smile:

All that said, I would agree that we should not be stripping data out if we're not actually filling it in a form. From my testing on Amazon.com, I'm not seeing this behavior if I add additional values (with commas) to the address line in my Identity item. What does the form look like on your end? Is this Amazon.com or some other TLD (e.g., amazon.ca, amazon.de, etc.)? This is what it looks like for me, and I am not seeing any data stripped:

I'd love to replicate the issue on my end so I can get it filed with the development team for further investigation, so if I could trouble you for a screenshot of what a fake item looks like and and of how that fills on Amazon (and what you'd expect it to look like, if you filled it manually) that would be super helpful. Just make sure it isn't real data, since this is a public community.

• gespinha
    gespinha
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @ag_michaelc! Here is what I'm experiencing:

I've created the following identity in 1Password:

And when I go to Amazon.com and attempt to create a new address, in the address form I open the 1Password extension menu, select the identity I mentioned above and click "Autofill", this is the result I get:

I've also tried this in several other websites and even in autofill form testers like:

And it results in the same error.

• Hey @gespinha. I played around with this some more, and I was able to reproduce the issue you're seeing of some components not being autofilled…in what's now an older release. :sweat: :smile: There should be a new update to 1Password in your browser in the near future — can you keep an eye out for that and let me know if you're still seeing this after that update? The version to watch out for is 1.23.0; I was able to replicate the behavior in 1.22.3.

• gespinha
    gespinha
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @ag_michaelc the problem is not only the address autofill filling the wrong fields it's also the fact that it removes the commas from my street field.

Does the 1.23.0 update fix both of these problems?

• Hey @gespinha. The commas are still interpreted as separators, so no, this is not addressed in 1.23.0. I've filed an issue internally for further discussion on this behavior so we can look into how we might address this moving forward.

ref: dev/core/core#4605

• gespinha
    gespinha
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_michaelc understood! Thanks!

• You're very welcome. Thank you for raising this concern.

This discussion has been closed.