Pump up your online security with 1Password

ylouis
ylouis
Community Member

Just receive this email " Pump up your online security with 1Password " that recommends to use 1Password to create a unique pwd for every website.

One thought though team!
Since a couple of software updates, 1Password has become instable (1Pwd 7.7 / Mac OSX 10.15.7). quite often I can’t open it when I need it, either from the browser (quite often) or from the 1password icon directly. Also it pollutes my browsers as it appears anytime I ‘m asked to enter my credentials, I want to choose to call 1Password or not. 1Password was much more simple, efficient and stable with previous version 6.

Back to your email, and based on my experience with 1Password, if I use 1Password to create my complex password(s), and if I can’t open 1Password afterward, I will just be in a big trouble to log into my apps.

As a result, I will never trust an app to be always up and available. This doesn’t exist. I better trust my mind to create my own complex pwd and change it as often as I can.

My 2 cts

Best regards, yves

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ylouis!

Also it pollutes my browsers as it appears anytime I ‘m asked to enter my credentials, I want to choose to call 1Password or not. 1Password was much more simple, efficient and stable with previous version 6.

You can change this setting under 1Password Preferences > Browsers and unchecking the option "Automatically show inline menu when selecting a field" :+1:

Back to your email, and based on my experience with 1Password, if I use 1Password to create my complex password(s), and if I can’t open 1Password afterward, I will just be in a big trouble to log into my apps.

I better trust my mind to create my own complex pwd and change it as often as I can.

I am not sure I understand: if you are here on the forum, I suppose you are a 1Password user, correct? But from what you wrote, it sounds like you are storing them somewhere else, or memorizing them. Can you clarify what you are trying to say?

• ylouis
    ylouis
    Community Member

Hi,

I'm a user of 1Password since many years, thus my comment in this forum

First of all, thanks for the TIP, that was really annoying (IMO).

For the second comment, what I'm saying is that I don't leave 1Password to create complex passwords for my web accounts (as recommended in your email). I use 1Password to store all my passwords created by myself and when I'm not sure about one particular pwd, I look at 1Password. If I loose my current vault in 1Password, I will be in real trouble. As I told you, sometime 1Password doesn't open, consequently, I can't trust it to control the credentials of my hundred accounts every times.

Also, there were a confusion between the "principal" and personal vaults when this came out. Some of my devices were using the principal vault and some other my personal vault and they were not sync together. I was updating one or the other, depending which device I used. I faced some big fears, until I captured I was not using the same vaults. Now I'm using my personal vault on all devices, but I still don't understand what the principal vault is used for. Anyway, I don't use the principal anymore.

thank you, yves

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@ylouis:

I use 1Password to store all my passwords created by myself and when I'm not sure about one particular pwd, I look at 1Password. If I loose my current vault in 1Password, I will be in real trouble.

Thank you for the clarification! Our suggestion is to let 1Password create random passwords for you, because it does the job much better than any human can do :) Also, even if you create the passwords yourself and store them in 1Password, the situation is the same: you won't be able to access them if 1Password doesn't open, unless you remember them all by heart, which defeats the purpose.

Now I'm using my personal vault on all devices, but I still don't understand what the principal vault is used for.

If you were using 1Password before you switched to a 1Password Membership, it's possible that you left your old vault in the app. You should only use the Personal vault since that syncs automatically with all your devices :+1:

To avoid confusion, you can also remove the old Primary vault. To remove your Primary vault, choose Vault menu > Switch to Vault > Primary. Then choose Vault menu > Delete Vault.

• ylouis
    ylouis
    Community Member

Thank you for the TIPs
    Best regards

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are welcome @ylouis! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.