Other than Password Category, Where are Prior Passwords Stored?

TrafficGuy
TrafficGuy
Community Member

Are prior passwords stored anywhere other than the Passwords category?

Here's the situation: I went to a site that I have credentials for. Needed to re-set aged credentials. I generated and saved a new password. That password was rejected because the max length is 16 (which I didn't learn until this point). The site forced to start over but is expecting the prior password before it will let me change it. 1Password has the new password. In 1P7 for Mac, I do not see the prior PW in the Passwords category nor when I search.

1Password Version: 7.7
Extension Version: 1.23.0
OS Version: 10.13.6
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@TrafficGuy: Great question, as I don't think I've ever actually seen that asked before. :)

Password items are not really password history. Rather, they are saved automatically by 1Password for Mac when you use a generated password, as a safety net in case you don't save a Login item for the site, so that you don't lock yourself out:

If you used the password generator and can’t find the password to sign in

Password history, on the other hand, is part of a Login item's details in 1Password for Mac, so you can view passwords you previously used for it:

I hope this helps. :)

• TrafficGuy
    TrafficGuy
    Community Member

Does it help? Well, yes and no. ;)

If a Login Item only has a single pw, then "View Password History" is not available in that drop-down menu. I don't have a way to prove it (since the pw history didn't capture it), but I think something got messed up when the site rejected the pw change (too long). My theory is that 1PW replaced the original pw with the new one. Rather than chasing this one down, I did a "forgotten pw" with the site in question and re-gained access that way.

Thanks!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@TrafficGuy:

If a Login Item only has a single pw, then "View Password History" is not available in that drop-down menu.

Correct :+1:

My theory is that 1PW replaced the original pw with the new one.

I think that whenever 1Password replaces a password, by default it creates the history section. I don't believe there is a way to update an item without storing the previous value, or at least I have never seen this happen. If you find a way to reproduce this, by all means let us know and we will be happy to test the procedure.

This discussion has been closed.