Importing passwords from Safari

EricCartman
EricCartman
Community Member

I am trying to use the mrc-converter-suite to import my passwords from Safari.

I managed to download and open the README.html. Following the instructions for Keychain, I get in trouble at this point:

To export an iCloud Keychain, you need to create a new local keychain and copy the contents from the iCloud Keychain. Launch the Keychain Access app, and select the File > New Keychain menu item. Name the keychain local-icloud, and click the Create button. Enter a password and click OK. Under the Keychains section, select the iCloud keychain. Now select all of the items in that keychain on the right, and copy them with Edit > Copy (or ⌘ + C). Select the local-icloud keychain, and paste the entries with Edit > Paste (or ⌘ + V) . If macOS allows the paste (it may fail), you will be presented with many authorization dialogs. Enter your password repeatedly, as requested. To simplify entering your password, open a new script document in Script Editor, and copy/paste the following script:

I tried running the script, but even after that, macOS doesn't seem to allow the paste. The error message is:

An error has occurred. Unable to add an item to the current keychain.
One or more parameters passed to a function were not valid.

Is there any way around that, or another way to import from Safari?

Many thanks!

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.7 (70700015) 1Password Store
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.13.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @EricCartman! Welcome to the forum!

Allow me to mention @MrC directly for you, perhaps this is something that he has encountered already :)

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@EricCartman

Exporting Safari passwords (stored via iCloud Keychain) can be obtained via the Get_Safari12_Passwords script in the converter suite. It will place them in a CSV file on your Desktop, which you then convert to a 1Password 1PIF file to import into 1Password.

Watch a screen video of how the process works here, then head over to the converter suite thread next. I'm here if you need additional guidance.

• EricCartman
    EricCartman
    Community Member

@MrC

Many thanks, I managed to run the Get_Safari12_Passwords script, and macOSConvertHelper.

Just wondering: I would like to separate the passwords I import via this process from those I have already imported and cleaned (manually, painfully)...

I've read there is a way to add a tag, would that be part of the converter options by any chance:

_Ready to use the CSV converter to convert the file named:

/Users/xxx/Desktop/pm_export.csv

You may enter additional converter options below:
    _

• EricCartman
    EricCartman
    Community Member

Should I add --tags? What's the syntax?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@EricCartman ,

You can add tags if you wish - just add the `--tags`` command line switch with one or more tags (a comma separated list of tags). E.g.

--tags "A Tag,B Tag,Some Long Tag" 

When you import a file into 1Password, it will add a dated-tag for you, and this helps you differentiate between your items.

• EricCartman
    EricCartman
    Community Member

@MrC

It worked perfectly, thanks!

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

Excellent, @EricCartman

Enjoy 1Password!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana