Brave extension not working

This discussion was created from comments split from: How to use 1Password with Brave Browser on iOS.

Comments

• dmeusa
    dmeusa
    Community Member

I downloaded the 1Password 4.7.5.90 extension for Brave, Mac OS 10.15.7. I can't get it to work. It installed, but I can't open 1Password mini. Is there something else I need to do? Thanks.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @dmeusa!

I have split your comment into a separate discussion since the original one you commented on was referring to Brave on iOS, while you are trying to make it work on macOS instead :+1:

Can you please clarify what you mean by "can't get it to work"? What happens exactly when you try to use it?

• dmeusa
    dmeusa
    Community Member

Hi ag_ana,

I don't see how I could use it. The 1Password icon appears in the browser, but when I click the icon, it doesn't display the password prompt for 1Password mini. Instead, it shows 7 rows of text:

-1Password Extension (desktop app required) [links to 1Password website]
    -1Password [No action-does not do anything]
    -This Can Read and Change Site Data ["on all sites" checked off]
    -Options [grayed out]
    -Remove from Brave...
    -Unpin
    -Manage Extensions [extension is "on"]

If I right-click, 1Password appears in the list, but I don't see how to use it.

Thanks for your help.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@dmeusa:

What version of the 1Password desktop app (not the extension) do you currently have installed on your Mac?

• dmeusa
    dmeusa
    Community Member

Hi,

It's 6.8.9

• @dmeusa,

Brave is only compatible with 1Password 7 and newer.

• flexiblerunner
    flexiblerunner
    Community Member

I'm having a similar (same perhaps) issue. I have 1Password installed on macOS and I have the Brave Browser extension installed and active.
    1) When I go to the desktop 1Password app it automatically prompts me to "install on Brave".
    2) Clicking that link bring me to the 1Password website, where I again click on the link to "Install" under the Brave icon.
    3) It then loads the Brave extension page, where it clearly shows that I already have it installed and the only option is "Remove".

Also, unlocking my desktop app works normally (as expected) but does not communicate with the Brave browser extension, which still requires me to login separately. The opposite is also true, unlocking the Brave extension does not unlock the desktop app.
    It is effectively like having two completely separate apps for 1Password that need to be managed separately, which defeats the purpose in my mind.

I have tried removing and installing the extension, but it has not effect.

1Password desktop: 1Password 7 Version 7.7 (70700015) 1Password Store
    macOS: macOS Big Sur v11.1
    Brave Browser: Version 1.18.78 Chromium: 87.0.4280.141 (Official Build) (x86_64)

• alcaudon89
    alcaudon89
    Community Member

I have the same problem, in macOS and Windows 10.

I can only use 1password classic extension, with the app installed in the macOS or Windows 10.

1Password macOS: 1Password 7 Version 7.7 (70700016) Mac App Store
    macOS: macOS Big Sur v11.1
    Brave Browser: Versión 1.19.88 Chromium: 88.0.4324.96 (Build oficial) (x86_64)
    1Password X Brave Extension: 1.22.3 https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/1password-x-–-password-ma/aeblfdkhhhdcdjpifhhbdiojplfjncoa/related

• @flexiblerunner and @alcaudon89,

The only extension compatible with 1Password 7 is the classic extension, so if you're installed a different extension it has no connectivity to the Mac or Windows apps.

• Kywallasaur
    Kywallasaur
    Community Member

Hello support community! I've got the same issue here.
    I'm pretty sure this is a bug with the 1password classic extension.
    I've attached a screenshot that might help the 1password team debug the problem. I've tried disabling all other extensions and restarting 1p7 and brave. I am running mac OS Sierra, however I'd imagine many users have older macs too.

In the meantime 1passwordX works, but suffers from logging in to 2 "1passwords". It also seems riskier (in the case of 1passwordX) to create passwords via the website rather than the desktop app (yes, I trust the other browser extensions I normally use, but I don't wan't to rely on them never being hacked.)

• Kywallasaur
    Kywallasaur
    Community Member

Yes. I've completely uninstalled chrome & brave is updated.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited February 2021

If you open Terminal and paste in

ls -la ~/Library/Application\ Support/Google/Chrome

then hit enter... What is the output? Officially 1Password 7 requires macOS 10.13 or greater; so that may be a limiting factor here. It may or may not be able to function properly on earlier versions.

System requirements for 1Password

1Password 7 requires macOS High Sierra 10.13 or later.

Ben

• Kywallasaur
    Kywallasaur
    Community Member

@ben
    Interesting.
    ls -la ~/Library/Application\ Support/Google/Chrome
    total 24
    drwx------ 4 Kyle staff 136 Dec 18 13:58 .
    drwx------ 7 Kyle staff 238 Dec 5 14:36 ..
    -rw-r--r--@ 1 Kyle staff 8196 Dec 18 13:59 .DS_Store
    drwx------ 3 Kyle staff 102 Nov 27 08:21 NativeMessagingHosts

NativeMessagingHosts does indeed have one item [some random numbers/letters].com.agilebits.1password.json
    I tried deleting the chrome folder again and reinstalling the extension and things changed, now brave pops up the "Couldn't connect to 1password page" and 1p7 launches, but no 1password mini/autofill.
    Thanks for your help! it seems closer to working.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Kywallasaur:

Please make sure you completely quit the browser now. Afterwards, can you please try quitting 1Password completely (right-click on 1Password mini in the menu bar at the top right of your screen > Quit 1Password Completely), and then relaunch 1Password and browser?

• Kywallasaur
    Kywallasaur
    Community Member

I had tried that, but...
    I ended up updating to High Sierra (I don't know why I thought my computer was incompatible all this time) and it worked!
    So @Ben you were right! Looks like Brave + 1password classic is in fact incompatible with MacOS Sierra 10.12
    but it does work on High Sierra 10.13.
    Thanks for everyone's help!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the update @Kywallasaur! I am glad to hear that an upgrade helped :)

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• thorpey
    thorpey
    Community Member
    edited May 2021

I have 1 password 6 will it be able to use the brave browser extension soon? My mac is 10.12.6

• Hi @thorpey

I'm afraid not. You're a fair bit out of date in all regards. 1Password 6 and 1Password Classic are no longer being developed, and macOS 10.12 is no longer supported by Apple (discontinued Oct 2019). I'm sorry to have to say, but it may be time to start considering an upgrade on all fronts.

Ben

• thorpey
    thorpey
    Community Member

Ok, darn that.
    Ive got a Windows based software program that needs Parallels running windows XP and thats as far as I can go without losing that program.
    I paid for a lifetime version of 1 Password so why cant I get a free upgrade to 1PW 7 ?

• Licenses don't expire, but they are for a specific version of 1Password. For example, it sounds like your license is for "1Password 6 for Mac." In-version updates are included with licenses (e.g. v7.1 -> 7.2), but upgrades to new major versions are not included (e.g. v6 -> 7).

Ive got a Windows based software program that needs Parallels running windows XP and thats as far as I can go without losing that program.

Frankly I would also suggest considering moving on there. Windows XP was retired by Microsoft in 2009 and hasn't received security updates since 2014. It is unsafe to use it while connected to the internet. At a minimum, I would recommend making sure it does not have network/internet access.

Parallels themselves make the same recommendation:

How to Run Windows XP Safely - Parallels Blog

Ben

• thorpey
    thorpey
    Community Member

Yep, I don’t run windows with the internet. It all works just fine, for the last nearly 16 years except now 1 password v6 won’t work with Brave.
    Rather unfortunate that is, I will just have to for go using it. )-:

• thorpey
    thorpey
    Community Member

Just one other thing I’ve noticed on my iPad is that when I open 1pw and open settings, where it says to leave a review it’s says version 7.7.5
    Yet on my Mac it’s v6
    ?

• Just one other thing I’ve noticed on my iPad is that when I open 1pw and open settings, where it says to leave a review it’s says version 7.7.5
    Yet on my Mac it’s v6
    ?

These are different products, so the versions you have on each may be different.

Ben

• thorpey
    thorpey
    Community Member

I only ever paid a one time fee once only in 2015.

V6.8.9 on my mac

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@thorpey:

Indeed, it sounds like you bought a license for 1Password 6, and have been using the free companion iOS app :+1:

• thorpey
    thorpey
    Community Member

Ok thanks guys n gals. Looks like to use Brave with the 1PW extension I have to up grade and pay a regular fee.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are welcome @thorpey, let us know if you have any other questions :+1: :)

This discussion has been closed.