No custom fields on new or existing logins

1passUsr
1passUsr
Community Member

Hello, tried to add security questions for a login to a password item. They show up when in edit mode, but not in the card when I view it. This happens both for a completely new login made from scratch, and for adding fields to existing login items. Same behaviour across OS desktop, web, and Android app.

I've tried logging out of everything then back in

I've tried making logins in a new vault

1Password Version: 7.7 (70700016)
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: macOS 11.1
Sync Type: 1Password?
Referrer: forum-search:section edit mode

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @1passUsr! Welcome to the forum!

I cannot reproduce this: when I create a new custom field, I am able to see it even outside of edit mode. Where are you creating the custom field exactly? Are you following these instructions?

Customize your 1Password items

• 1passUsr
    1passUsr
    Community Member
    edited February 2021

Hello @ag_ana I followed the directions in the link you provided. Attached are screenshots of what I see. They are on the macOS app, but I get the same results when I make a new login or edit an existing one in macOS, web (firefox and chrome), or on Android. Custom fields are being created in the custom fields area. I save them and they vanish. I edit the login item and I can see them again.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@1passUsr:

Thank you for the update! I can't say I have ever seen this before. Can you try something quick to make sure we start from a fresh state? Can you please try quitting 1Password completely (right-click on 1Password mini in the menu bar at the top right of your screen > Quit 1Password Completely), and then relaunch 1Password?

Do you see the same behavior now?

• olderbrother
    olderbrother
    Community Member

I'm having exactly the same problem as the original poster. Even after trying your suggestion of quitting completely and relaunching. Any ideas? My macOS and 1Password (for Mac) are all completely up to date.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for letting us know @olderbrother. Out of curiosity, do you see the same thing if you look at the item on the 1Password.com website, rather than in the app?

• olderbrother
    olderbrother
    Community Member

Hi @ag_ana. Yes, the same thing happens on the 1Password website. HOWEVER, I got it to work on both platforms, sort of:

After typing the label name and selecting "password" as the type of field, it looks like a password was generated (because I see several dots in the field). No matter how many such labels and passwords I make this way, none of them appear when I save.

But if I do the above and THEN click on the key icon to actually generate a password, and do it for each of the labels I've created, it does actually show them all after saving.

The problem seems (for me, at least) that it looks like there's a password there when there isn't. I've confirmed this now, by going back into edit mode and clicking on the "password." It looks like ••••••••• before I click, but upon clicking it's blank.

Is it standard practice to show the row of dots in a password field even when it's blank? That seems to be where I (and others?) have gotten confused.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the clarification @olderbrother, I believe you hit the nail on the head:

The problem seems (for me, at least) that it looks like there's a password there when there isn't. I've confirmed this now, by going back into edit mode and clicking on the "password." It looks like ••••••••• before I click, but upon clicking it's blank.

You can indeed create as many custom fields as you wish, but if they are actually empty, 1Password won't show them. However, if you are in Edit mode, it will show them to you because they actually exist, regardless of whether they are empty or not. This is 1Password trying to be helpful I think, but I see how this could be confusing.

• olderbrother
    olderbrother
    Community Member

Yeah, I'm glad I know it now, but it would be less confusing if it showed an empty box instead of the dots.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for your feedback on this @olderbrother :+1:

This discussion has been closed.