To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

I've forgotten most passwords as they autofill. how does 1password deal with this

Options
rowlesben48
rowlesben48
Community Member

my computer expertise is nil. is this going to be a massive hassle trying to use this

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:I've forgotten most passwords as they autofill. how does 1password deal with this

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @rowlesben48! Welcome to the forum!

I am not sure I understand the question, can you clarify? What is your concern exactly?

• MerryBit
    MerryBit
    Community Member
    edited February 2021
    Options

I'm guessing the question is how does one get the passwords from one's browser into 1password. Concern stems from the fact that the user does not remember the passwords already saved in the browser.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

If you've saved your passwords in Chrome then the following page details the steps required to import them.

https://support.1password.com/import-chrome/

• rowlesben48
    rowlesben48
    Community Member
    Options

See, I don't even know what chrome is unless its on a car. Just want to know if this thing is easy to set up

• J_O_D
    J_O_D
    Community Member
    Options

Without knowing what browser are you actually using (Chrome, Safari...?) I am afraid we cannot tell you how easy it is.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

Where are your passwords saved at the moment? I guess they are saved in your browser, for example, Chrome, Edge, Firefox or Safari. If so, you can either bring them across to 1Password one at a time or export them all in one go.

How many passwords do you have as things stand? If its less than 30 or so then just go to each website in turn and after entering the password, but before clicking the login button, click on the 1Password icon and save in 1Password. If more than that then its probably worth the effort to export them from your browser and import them into 1Password.

• rowlesben48
    rowlesben48
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks everyone. I don't know where they are. I use safari. Yeah I would say I have under 30. Example, I go to my online banking and user and pass login info is there I just click on it and I'm in.

• @rowlesben48

I think you might be using the Safari browser password manager. If you open Safari > Preferences > Passwords - Then enter your macOS password to unlock the settings. Are all of your passwords displayed in that listing?

• rowlesben48
    rowlesben48
    Community Member
    Options

Yup your right. Don't know if that's all of them, but yeah. So all of them can go to 1password in one whack?

• ag_tommy
    edited February 2021
    Options

@rowlesben48

The best method to get those into 1Password would be to use the converter suite from @Mrc , available here. If you're not comfortable using the tool, you can also input the items manually. To answer your question, yes, those items would be entered into 1Password, and from there, they would be filled on your websites using 1Password and not using the Safari autofill prompt. Instead, you would use our browser extension or inline menu (which is similar to the Safari autofill prompt).

You can find out more about filling your details on various pages by looking at our extension use guide.

• williakz
    williakz
    Community Member
    edited February 2021
    Options

@rowlesben48, note that after your "old" browser-based passwords have been successfully migrated to 1Password (either by manual input or mass conversion), you'll want to create new "hardened" ones using 1Password's password generator and possibly add 2FA protection as well.

• rowlesben48
    rowlesben48
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, guess I'll just have to jump in the water

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    Options

You won't regret it @rowlesben48. 😉

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Let us know if there is anything we can do to help @rowlesben48 :+1: :)

This discussion has been closed.