1Password X name change?

4and20blackbirds
4and20blackbirds
Community Member
edited February 2021 in 1Password in the Browser

Hello! My 1Password X updated today and one of the changes said that there'd been a name change to "1Password in the Browser" but, other than the forum name change, I can find nothing about it. No blog entry, no support articles, nothing. Can you guys expound on the change and what it means going forward? Are the standalone apps going to be deprecated?

The number in parentheses by the change was "!4867" and I tried searching that but also came up empty.

Thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• williakz
    williakz
    Community Member
    edited February 2021

1Password support folk here have been speaking of "the way forward" for a long time. 1Password is inexorably heading towards a subscription-only purchase model with a single, multi-browser extension that directly interfaces with the desktop's standalone app for efficiency.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2021

Hey @4and20blackbirds ,

The changes were made for two reasons:

1. The naming convention of our extensions was too confusing for new users, so we've changed the names to make things as simple as possible. Telling the customer "You'll want to install 1Password in your browser" instead of "You'll want to install 1Password X" (which would result in "What's 1Password X?"). You'll find that most changes that followed are just in our support articles on the website (and the actual name of the extension in browsers' extensions stores).

2. This is also a step towards the future of having 1Password in the browser (previously known as 1Password X) as the main extension that everyone should have by default. We've been working on it for quite a long while now and feel that it provides the best autofilling experience by far.

I don't know if it will be membership only and what will become of the standalone apps and 1Password Classic (previously known as "1Password extension(desktop app required)"), so it is best to stay tuned for updates and announcements via our newsletter: https://1password.com/newsletter/

• 4and20blackbirds
    4and20blackbirds
    Community Member

Thanks @williakz and @ag_yaron!

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

You're most welcome :)

• break80
    break80
    Community Member

Well, today I tried to install "1password extension (desktop app required)" on Chrome on another Windows 10 computer of mine. To my surprise, I could not find it in the Chrome store. I didn't know anything about your changes so was blindsided for the past hour. Reading here I now know what happened. It would have been good for your users to know this was happening and when so we could prepare. Perhaps you did and I missed it somehow.

Anyway, I installed it and it works. But, to use 1password on either the Desktop or Chrome, I now have to log into each one. In the past if you log into one, you are logged in on both. Is there a work around for this double entry system?

• break80
    break80
    Community Member

I tried using 1password x in Edge last year and dropped it because there was too much missing. Now I use the finger print Hello thing to get back in after a while. Love that. Bear as I can tell that is not in 1password extension yet. So bottom line is I am willing to try again in the future, but for now, to remove complication I don't have time to fiddle with and learn, please give me access to the old extension. I will switch later when it has been further developed.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @break80 ,

We will soon add Windows Hello support to 1Password in the browser.
    Until then, you are welcome to stick to 1Password Classic: https://support.1password.com/cs/1password-classic-extension/

• break80
    break80
    Community Member

Thank you very much for that link. I have installed the old version and it works fine

This discussion has been closed.