Enable 1PW X and Desktop unlock integration? Using most recent beta builds on both.

Options
thepatronik
thepatronik
Community Member
edited February 2021 in 1Password in the Browser

Back in the day, the 1PW X + Desktop app unlock integration used to work for me. But not for a long time. I have the latest beta builds for both 1PW X and the app, and they don't seem to communicate at all. Any suggestions?

1Password Version: 7.7.1.BETA-7
Extension Version: 1.24.1
OS Version: OS X 11.2.1
Sync Type: 1Password
Referrer: forum-search:1password x unlock

Comments

• plttn
    plttn
    Community Member
    Options

https://1password.community/discussion/115228/temporarily-removing-desktop-app-integration/p1

tl;dr, it was temporarily removed to be implemented in a more robust fashion, but there is currently no timelines being given by Agilebits.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @thepatronik! Welcome to the forum!

The integration was temporarily removed from 1Password X while our developers work on replacing it with something that works even better. Please see this announcement here in the forum for all the details:

Temporarily removing Desktop App Integration

• ChicagoJoe2
    ChicagoJoe2
    Community Member
    Options

Am I correct in understanding that 1Password X requires login with Master Password because it's functionality is driven by 'phoning home' to Agilebits to retrieve passwords upon each use? Would this explain why it can't find vaults 'local' vaults on my mac?
    I have one that I can't sync to Agilebits due to corp infosec policy.

• thepatronik
    thepatronik
    Community Member
    Options

@plttn and @ag_ana thank you for the quick replies. Glad to see I wasn't going crazy and looking forward to when the integration returns, new and improved.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2021
    Options

@ChicagoJoe2 1Password in the browser (previously known as 1Password X) requires you to unlock with your Master Password in order to decrypt your database, not for "phoning home". After you unlock and decrypt it locally in your browser, then it checks your vaults on our servers and see if there are any changes that needs to be synced. The two actions are separate.

1Password in the browser does not support local standalone vaults and only works with vaults in your 1Password.com membership cloud account, which is why you can't work with the local vaults in your desktop app.
    If you need to work with local vaults, I suggest you switch to 1Password Classic instead: https://support.1password.com/cs/1password-classic-extension/

• williakz
    williakz
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_yaron, as 1Password Classic is currently required for accessing standalone vaults via a browser, and Classic is surely giving way to 1Password in the Browser, does that mean standalone vaults accessible through a browser are going bye-bye in the near future?

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @williakz ,
    That's a great question. One that I do not have the answer to :)

Standalone vaults are still supported now, but it is above my paygrade to know what the long term plans are. Make sure to read the update log when you update your 1Password app and stay tuned for any announcement we post here and via email, that's the best place to hear about upcoming changes, if there are any.

• williakz
    williakz
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, @ag_yaron, I'll keep my eyes and ears(?) peeled.

• Sounds good @williakz

• ChicagoJoe2
    ChicagoJoe2
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_yaron I work for a very large networking company (rhymes with disco) with a lot of people that use 1Password for work the same way as myself (local standalone vaults for corp data because corp infosec policy says no syncing of passwords or other corp confidential data to unauthorized third-party providers) and I would be forced to stop using 1Password as a results of the lack of browser support for local standalone vaults. May want to consider this in future plans. Please pass it on.

• teeknox
    teeknox
    Community Member
    Options

I just want to chime in here. I'm a Firefox user on Mac & iOS. I've been a 1password user for 10+ years. The new changes are seriously about to drive me out of the 1PW ecosystem. The classic plugin is fully broken in Firefox. I've tried uninstalling 1PW, uninstalling Firefox, fully resetting my FF settings, etc, etc. Nothing works. And the X plugin functionality is many steps backwards without Desktop integration.

In the original post in August of last year, the timeframe was stated: "1Password X later this year with Desktop App Integration reborn." It's now March, seven months later, and still no word on a release that reintegrates X w/ Desktop.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @ChicagoJoe2 ,

We have some better (and amazing) solutions for businesses and corporations than local vaults. I know it may seem impossible to change anything in big corporations, but try forwarding this to whomever you think may pull the trigger on it: https://support.1password.com/explore/business/

We already work with quite a few major companies and the feedback is very positive, so I hope you can forward it to someone in your company internally and they'll consider a demo call. Who knows,? maybe in the next few months you'll be enjoying a better 1Password experience :)
    Regardless, I will forward your feedback, thank you.

@teeknox ,
    If you're having issues with 1Password Classic in Firefox, we'll be happy to troubleshoot them with you. Send us all the information, including a diagnostics report from your Mac to support+extensions@1passsword.com and we'll get right on it. https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/

The new 1Password in the browser is definitely a step forward as it provides a lot of new features that the Classic extension does not, such as auto-filling multi-pages logins, autofilling TOTPs, works with basic auth prompts/proxies, has the great inline menu that saves a bunch of clicks/keyboard shortcuts and more and more.
    It does currently lack the desktop app integration which we're working on. There was an update released in the original announcement post last week, I think you may have missed it because you didn't go to the last page of that discussion :)

This discussion has been closed.