App doesn't remember Account

Options
donnerchen
donnerchen
Community Member
edited February 2021 in Mac

Hi there,

I'm using a MacBook with macOS Big Sur 11.2.1 and 1Password 7 Version 7.7 (70700016)

During the last month everything worked fine. Today I wanted to access my passwords and the app doesn't remember my account. And, guess what, I don't have a secret key. OK, I already found out that there is no way to restore the secret key.
BUT as I use TimeMachine, I wonder, if I can restore a folder or file so that 1Password will be able to access my account again. Any suggestions? I really would appreciate any help besides "delete your account and buy a new one"

TIA
Carsten

1Password Version: 7.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 11.2.1
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @donnerchen! Welcome to the forum!

There could be an even quicker way to do this: do you remember where your data is synced?

• donnerchen
    donnerchen
    Community Member
    Options

Hello @ag_ana and thanks for your reply.

I use the 1Password cloud for syncing and the MacBook was currently the only device which accessed the account. It was talking to itself so to speak :-/

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@donnerchen:

Thank you for the confirmation! In this case, there is no need to restore anything from a backup, you can just login to your account in the 1Password app once again ;)

If you are only missing the Secret Key, there are several ways to recover it:

Find your Secret Key or Setup Code

• donnerchen
    donnerchen
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana Thank you... but... ok, sometimes I'm a littlebit stubit... but how do I log in without the Secret Key?
    I open 1password.com then click on "Sign in" and the login form asks for the Secret Key.... What am I doing wrong?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@donnerchen:

You need to retrieve your Secret Key before you sign in. Without the Secret Key it's not possible to sign in. If you lost your Secret Key, there are several places where you can retrieve it from (your Emergency Kit, iCloud, another device etc), as per the article I shared with you in my previous post, which do not require you to login to retrieve it :+1:

• donnerchen
    donnerchen
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana thank you, but as I already mentioned no other device used the account. Unfortunately there is no copy of the Secret Key in my keychain und the emergency kit is gone....
    I took a look at the article you shared. For "Mac" it says that I shall select the account in the 1Password App. But the account is gone, as I stated in my first post. So, there is no chance to get the Secret key from the App. That brought me to the question which files I do have to restore to make my local copy of 1Password work again...

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@donnerchen:

Understood, thank you for the clarification. If you are running 1Password 7, 1Password 7's data lives in ~/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits, so that would be the folder you need to restore.

• donnerchen
    donnerchen
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana Thank you :-)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You are very welcome :)

This discussion has been closed.