Refining organization of family credit cards

williakz
williakz
Community Member
edited February 2021 in Families

A recent relocation has really brought to light some weaknesses in my original setup and organization of 1Password Family, specifically as it relates to credit cards and accounts. I'm sure others here have run into similar problems, so I'm soliciting suggestions and/or references to other, hopefully better ways to access and manage these critical facilities.

Our (my wife's and my) credit cards/accounts are divided into a number of different types:

1. Separate cards/separate accounts: mine only or hers only with no need for the other to use or manage the card
  2. Double cards/same account: same card number/CCV, differ only in name on card
  3. Dual cards/separate accounts: different card numbers/CCVs/names and accounts
  4. Dual cards/same account: different card numbers/CCVs/names with primary and additional cardholders on same account

Currently all of the above are spread between her and my main (non-Private, non-shared) vaults which causes serious issues regarding access, duplication, and keeping info current throughout 1Password. Separate entries already exist for each card (Category: Credit Card) and account (Category: Login). My thought is to put all the card and account entries for both of us together into a shared vault using tags or an item prefix to ease sorting and display. This way we can each access our cards/accounts as and when needed to update the information, say when a replacement card arrives, a limit is bumped, or to act on a time-sensitive incentive program.

How do others here organize their credit cards and accounts to gain ready access as well as to promote data integrity and ease of maintenance?

Thanks in advance for any and all comments.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @williakz

I don't quite have the same needs as you do, as I only have these two scenarios:

Separate cards/separate accounts: mine only or hers only with no need for the other to use or manage the card
    Dual cards/separate accounts: different card numbers/CCVs/names and accounts

The former case is clear cut. In the latter case there is a 'primary' account holder which can manage all of the cards through a single online portal. Each individual has their own Login for their online account as well as a Credit Card item for their card. Then where applicable there is a shared vault containing the 'primary' account's Login item.

But, thinking about it a bit, I think I'd start with this point:

• duplication

If you're finding duplicate items, that is probably an indicator that they should instead be in a shared vault. Once you've addressed that hopefully the rest should start to fall into place.

Ben

• williakz
    williakz
    Community Member

Thanks for the wise counsel, @Ben

My first pass was to move everything financial from our individual (non-shared, non-private) vaults into a shared vault then start working my way through it, making sure cards (major carriers as well as small bank and store cards) and logins were fully described and designated (I prefixed every entry with either my or my wife's initials for easy identification). Cards were a snap, logins a bit trickier, and some of the multi-part accounts (like 529s) trickier still. I'm about 90% there and have just the tough nuts left to crack. Final phase will be putting things back where they belong, although we may just run in "sharing" mode for a while first to see if it gives each of us a more complete picture of the family finances. Never thought a dog my age would be learning new tricks. Thanks again.

• @williakz

I prefixed every entry with either my or my wife's initials for easy identification

This is how we accomplished our organization when I needed it. On behalf of Ben, you're welcome. Oh, and keep learning new tricks. They help to keep the mind agile.

This discussion has been closed.