Why is there only one private vault?

Mattis
Mattis
Community Member

Hello people,

I have a question about 1Password families:

When you invite a family member, they get an email to set up their 1Password account. After the setup there is already a default vault called "Private". This vault can only be opened and read by the family member. The family organizer can not see or manage the vault.

Why is it not possible to create another vault with these properties? All additional vaults could theoretically be managed by the family organizer.

It would be great if you could give additional vaults the property of being truly private and not visible to the family organizer.

Does this have any background?

I appreciate your answers.

Have a great day.

Mattis

1Password Version: 1Password 7.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS Big Sur 11.2.1
Sync Type: 1Password.com

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

want more private vault too.

• Hi folks,

I don't know all of the context, but I was around when some of these design decisions were being made. If I recall correctly, part of the thought here was to try and help prevent 'orphaned' vaults which no one could access or manage if a vault creator were removed from the membership. That said, this is certainly a valid question:

Why is it not possible to create another vault with these properties?

The honest and simple though probably not very satisfying answer is that the service wasn't designed to handle multiple vaults of that type. The same is true of the built-in Shared vault. Only one vault per membership with each of those special properties is supported. I don't think that would be impossible to change, but I won't pretend to know what the barriers might be. I'd be happy to record your input on a feature request for further consideration.

Until/unless we are able to come up with a solution for that you may want to consider using tags to organize items within your private vault:

Organize with favorites and tags

Ben

ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests#304

• Mattis
    Mattis
    Community Member

Thank you so much! @Ben
    I really appreciate your answer!

Mattis

• You're very welcome! :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.