Custom Template Encoding?

I'm using the op tool to get a custom template and the json response appears to be encoded. Is this expected, and if so what is the best way to decode it? Here's an example:

> op get template MyTemplate

This does not appear to be the case for the built-in templates:

> op get template login

1Password Version: 1.8.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided


  • ag_yaronag_yaron

    Team Member

    Hey @tkeeler ,

    Perhaps you'll find this post helpful:
    As you can see from the example command there, you do need to tell the CLI to encode the items.

    Let me know if that helped.

  • Thanks, I did come across this when I was originally searching for an answer. It doesn't directly help, but it does help me understand the key/value structure a bit more.

    I believe the issue is creating a custom template on the 1Password site. It appears the n value gets set to a random ID and the t value doesn't get set properly. In my template the field name is set to 'Testing' but it doesn't appear in my op get template MyTemplate response. I'm assuming this is a bug?

    Is there another method to create a template?

  • ag_yaronag_yaron

    Team Member

    Hey @tkeeler ,
    Sorry for the delay, we’re looking into this.

    There does seem to be some difference in the frontend UI templates that the CLI doesn’t know/expect.

    I’ll let you know as soon as I have more info.

  • ag_yaronag_yaron

    Team Member
    edited February 25

    Hey @tkeeler ,
    We found the issue, it is definitely on our side.

    We have filed it internally so our developers can fix this in a future update.

    Thank you for reporting this!

    ref: dev/b5/b5#10890

  • Thank you for the follow-up!

  • ag_yaronag_yaron

    Team Member

    No problem :+1:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file