1Password and Credential Provider Extension on macOS

alexclst
alexclst
Community Member

I've spent a portion of my weekend reading Apple's updated "Apple Platform Security" document. In the midst of this I found a section entitled "Credential provider extensions". I knew this was a thing on iOS, and that 1Password uses it. What I didn't know was that they exist on macOS as well. I've had to disable the iCloud Keychain password saving in Safari so 1Password can work well and not visually conflict. But I'd prefer to keep both longterm, or at least be able to without usability issues. Has the 1Password Mac team looked into implementing this extension point and decided it wasn't worth it (or secure enough)? Or is this document the first you are hearing of it being a thing on macOS as well?

1Password Version: 7.7.1.BETA-8
Extension Version: same
OS Version: 11.2.1 ARM
Sync Type: Families

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @alexclst!

I will be happy to pass your question to the developers :+1: We will post back here as soon as we have an update.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@alexclst:

As promised, here I am with an update: our developers told me that they are indeed aware that the feature exists in macOS, but we do not support it at this time. Thank you for sharing the link to the documentation though!

This discussion has been closed.