How do I migrate my data from a Dropbox vault to a Family vault?

Options
fdcurran
fdcurran
Community Member

I've used 1Password for years on my computer. Maybe 5 years ago I moved my vault to Dropbox and all my devices sync to that vault. I want to set up a Family vault that my wife and son can access to get my passwords should something happen to me.

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.7 (70700015) 1Password Store
Extension Version: 4,7.5.90
OS Version: 10.15.7
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @fdcurran!

Here is what you should do to move your data to your Families account:

1. On the device where you have your Dropbox vault, add your Families account to the 1Password app
    2. Move your items from the Dropbox vault to the Families vault

At the end of the process, you can remove your old Primary vault from the app so you don't have duplicates :+1:

• fdcurran
    fdcurran
    Community Member
    Options

That sounds easy. Thank you. What if any advantages are there for where my vault is stored? Dropbox, iCloud, 1Password?

• Ben
    Ben
    edited February 2021
    Options

@fdcurran

This article may be of help in understanding the benefits of 1Password membership, which is now the de facto standard:

About 1Password membership

Ben

• Irra
    Irra
    Community Member
    Options

Is the backup in Dropbox not neceseary anymore with a Family-account. I have an older Primaire fault at Dropbox that is not up too date anymore (Not synced properly)???
    Irra

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Irra:

Correct, Dropbox is not necessary anymore if you use a Families account :+1: Our recommendation is to remove the old Primary vault after you have completed the migration to Families, so the old vault does not cause confusion.

This discussion has been closed.