My emergency Kit security is compromised - can I change my Secret Key?

Options
IanCG
IanCG
Community Member

For security I backed up my emergency kit to a new SAN I just bought.
After a couple of weeks the SAN has developed faults - one of the disks has failed and the fan is also faulty, so I want to return it. I have backed up from the non-faulty disk and am wiping that clean, but I can't wipe the faulty disk which was set up as a mirror of the first (RAID1).
So potentially a technically competent person could retrieve my emergency kit and and use it to access all my logins, passwords, bank details etc.
I need to make that emergency kit useless - what's the best plan? Should I (can I?) reset my secret key and my master password?

For info I have a family licence but am only a recent user and haven't set up other family members yet.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    edited February 2021
    Options

@IanCG If both have been exposed, I would regenerate my Secret Key and change my Master Password. If only the Secret Key has been exposed then I would just change that. You can change either or both at 1password.com:

https://my.1password.com/profile

• IanCG
    IanCG
    Community Member
    Options

@missingbits Thanks very much for your answer - the emergency kit file shows only my Secret Key - I hadn't got round to adding my master password to it yet!
    So I have followed your advice and changed my Secret Key.
    I suppose because I didn't have the Master Password on there as well the document probably couldn't have been used to access my Vault(s), but with so much at stake I didn't want to take any chances - anything else a hacker can recover from that disk they are welcome to.
    This was very straightforward with your guidance - thanks very much.
    Apologies if this is something I should have been able to find easily in the documentation, but I was struggling as 1Password is still new to me.

• @IanCG

Welcome to the family. If you have any questions there is a great chance someone in the community has an answer. :)

This discussion has been closed.