Cannot install browser extension in Opera

Options

Hi, I get this error when attempting to install the browser extension in Opera:

Extension installation failed. Package is invalid: 'CRX_FILE_NOT_READABLE'.

This happens with both new and classic versions of the extension.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Cannot install browser extension in Opera

Comments

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @steve23 - thanks for reaching out! I'm sorry about the error you're seeing in Opera. Although we don't officially support Opera, I'm happy to check on a few things for you. Can you let me know if get that error with other extensions? Try setting up Duck Duck Go and let me know how that goes.

• In addition to what Joy mentioned, @Steve23, I'd be curious about other extensions from the Chrome Web Store, since that's where 1Password is installed from. So in that case, DuckDuckGo would be located here.

• Steve23
    Steve23
    Community Member
    Options

@Joy_1P, when did you stop supporting Opera? I have been using the extension for years with it. I only uninstalled it so that I could install the new version, but now I can't even get the classic version back.

• Steve23
    Steve23
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_michaelc, I have https://addons.opera.com/en/extensions/details/install-chrome-extensions/ installed, which allows for Chrome extensions in Opera. However, this wasn't required when you supported Opera.

• Hey @Steve23 we dropped support when it came to light that their business practices might not align with our company's values.

https://www.engadget.com/2020-01-19-opera-accused-of-predatory-loan-apps.html

I am familiar with the Opera extension allowing Chrome extensions to be installed, but what we're curious about is whether other Chrome extensions are failing to install, too, or if for some reason it is just the 1Password extensions (and both of them, at that).

• Steve23
    Steve23
    Community Member
    edited February 2021
    Options

@ag_michaelc Duck Go Go installed without problem.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @Steve23 ,
    Thanks for the update.

When I opened my (unused) Opera, the first thing I got was the same error you showed here about the extension file not being readable, so it removed it automatically from the extensions section. I then updated opera, which forced me to relaunch it, and then I was able to download and install both 1Password extensions (and the beta one as well!).

So please check if your Opera has a pending update and if so, install it. Restart Opera whether or not it updated and test again.
    In case that didn't help, my next suggestion would be to completely uninstall Opera including the user profile and all the user data, then reinstall it, which would delete your history, cache, favorites, extensions etc, so I hope it won't come to that.

• Steve23
    Steve23
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @ag_yaron, I checked for updates but there was nothing available, so I couldn't update it. I uninstalled/reinstalled and got the same error.

• Hello @Steve23,

After doing some researches on Google, I can see that this issue is an old bug that occurs for quite a few Opera users with different extensions. That said, some mentioned that installing Opera Beta from here could help. If you are interested, please try it to see how it works.

This discussion has been closed.