Chrome Extension on Mac - Completely new and not corresponding with App

desmondo
desmondo
Community Member

Is the Chrome extension completely new? It has it's own lock in the Chrome extension Bar and the fill command (command + $) does not work in the browser anymore. Before it seemed the extension and desktop app were "connected" but now it seems like copletely independend instances. How for example can i get back touch id / apple watch unlock to the browser. Is there an entry in the knowledge base or blog about this?

thanks!

1Password Version: 7.7
Extension Version: 1.23.1
OS Version: 11.2.1
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• @desmondo

It sounds like you may have installed 1Password in the browser when you were looking for our classic extension. If you're using a membership 1Password in the browser is perhaps the best method. If you're using standalone vaults then the classic extension may be the best. Please let us know more about your usage and we can make additional suggestions.

Get the 1Password classic extension

Late last year we removed Touch ID support for 1Password in the browser. We hope to see it return soon.

https://1password.community/discussion/115228/temporarily-removing-desktop-app-integration/p1

• desmondo
    desmondo
    Community Member
    edited February 2021

Thanks for your Answer. But two followup questions arised:
    Is the classic extension still available or was it removed? -> EDIT: I did not see the Link imediately. Is the classic extension still updated or EOL?
    Membership vault means shared vaults (exp. Family)?

I have a shared vault that i use seldomly. I work 98% with my primary vault and for the other two percent some inconviniences are no problem.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@desmondo:

Is the classic extension still updated or EOL?

All development is going toward the 1Password in the browser extension at the moment.

Membership vault means shared vaults (exp. Family)?

Correct, vaults stored in your 1Password.com account, such as a Families account :+1:

• desmondo
    desmondo
    Community Member

Thanks for your clarifications. Did i miss this announcement about this change?

Second, so we have like a standalone instance of 1password directly in the browser. Perfect for the work pc where we have limited possibilities of customization... but regarding security, when removing the extension? Do all my data get wiped?

Do you have some kind of whitepaper?

Thanks a lot.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@desmondo:

Thanks for your clarifications. Did i miss this announcement about this change?

I don't think there was an announcements, since both extensions are still available for download.

Second, so we have like a standalone instance of 1password directly in the browser. Perfect for the work pc where we have limited possibilities of customization... but regarding security, when removing the extension? Do all my data get wiped?

No, your data remains in your 1Password account, only the extension itself gets removed from your browser.

Do you have some kind of whitepaper?

We do have a security white paper, which you can find here :+1:

• desmondo
    desmondo
    Community Member

Thanks for your answer @ag_ana

The old extension is hidden and not easy to find. So for the average user quite a changend situation/interface/experience after setting up a new browser. and i think many people are using 1password in the browser.

Regarding the data in the extension. my question was more about remaining data on the machine after deletion of the extension. Not the Data in my vaults and accounts. Do you have some information about that. Or are there never any data on the machine itself and the extension works like " a browser in broser"

• Hello @desmondo,

We have a plan to integrate the 1Password desktop app with the new 1Password in your browser. After that, the old extension no longer has an advantage, so we reckon it is time to introduce users to the new 1Password in the browser.

1Password saves and syncs data directly to your 1Password account. For that reason, you don't have to worry about temporary data in the local storage for offline use. As long as you can sign in to your 1Password account from here: https://my.1password.com/signin and see your data there, you should not have anything to worry about.

• desmondo
    desmondo
    Community Member

@Nhat_Nguyen thanks for the honest answer. The most important thing regarding a password manager. I will always be looking for such answers and not some kind of fuzzy marketing answers. Its crucial for the userbase in my eyes to always get clear answers.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

We're always 100% transparent @desmondo , so feel free to ask us anything :)

This discussion has been closed.