Browser extension security

Options

I am trying to decide whether to use Safari or Firefox as my standard browser and I've wondered about the security of both 1Password browser extensions in comparison. As far as I understand, the Safari extension depends on the native application installed on my mac, while the Firefox extension directly decrypts the stored passwords in the browser. In your white paper you describe on page 52ff. that the use of the web client introduces a number of significant risks. Does this imply that the use of the Safari extension is more secure than the Firefox extension?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @vorsatzblatt! Welcome to the forum!

I have sent your question directly to our security team :+1: We will post back as soon as we have an update.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@vorsatzblatt - it doesn't, but good for you for thinking strategically about your digital security! The "web client" referred to in the 1password.com security white paper is the client delivered to a browser directly by entering https://my.1password.com into your browser's URL bar and signing in that way, not any of our browser extensions. Feel free to choose between Safari and Firefox without worrying about this aspect.

This discussion has been closed.