S.O.S. Logins aren't working with new 1Password extension

Options
rlf
rlf
Community Member
edited March 2021 in 1Password in the Browser

I'm using the new (not classic) 1Password extension in Chrome 88.0.x for Mac and it's not behaving properly for many websites. For example, if I try to log into the Twitter website, when I go to the login page, I see the new 1Password icon (the lock) in the username field and the new 1Password thing that says "Press shift+cmd+U to unlock 1Password" (I changed the shortcut from shift+cmd+L to a U). If I type that keyboard shortcut, I get another popup window that says "Search Personal" and below it it says "Install the 1Password extension ... with a blue button "Add 1Password to Google Chrome." (why is saying that?) If I then type Twitter in the form and select my Twitter account, instead of filling in the form, it takes me to another Twitter login page where I see another login form with the 1P lock icon in the username field. If I click that icon, this aforementioned login process just repeats itself.

The fact that I'm seeing the blue button "Add 1Password to Google Chrome." tells me the extension isn't working right or I don't have it configured properly; it looks like the message I was getting when I was using the old extension. And yet I got it from this page where the new extensions are located: https://support.1password.com/getting-started-browser/
Joy in your Customer Support department told me to get it from this page. I double-checked and I don't have the old extension installed in Chrome alongside it; just the new extension.

I should add that I also installed the new extension (1.23.1) in Firefox 86.0 and it doesn't work at all. If I type my keyboard shortcut to unlock 1Password it behaves exactly as I described above for Chrome except that if try another approach and click the 1Password icon in the top menu bar, nothing happens. The only thing you can do with that icon is right-click it to get the context menu. Left-clicking it does nothing whatsoever. If I'm logging into a website with Firefox now, I have to open 1Password and copy and paste my login info from 1Password into every website login.

Can you please help me sort this problem out? This is happening on my two new Mac computers so it's not like my browsers are filled with lots and lots of extensions. These are almost fresh browser installs. With Firefox, I disable each extension I have and restarted it but that didn't fix the problem.

I've been a loyal 1Password customer for many years and have even converted my whole family to it. But I've had nothing but problems with these extensions ever since 1Password introduced the new extension and I'm at my wit's end.

Thank you.

P.S. Why doesn't 1Password log me into your support website? I would think it would at least work on your own site.

1Password Version: 7.7
Extension Version: 1.23.1
OS Version: 11.2.2
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_tommy
    edited March 2021
    Options

@rlf

Forgive me I am going to dissect some of your message to allow me/us to better follow along in my replies. :)

I'm using the new (not classic) 1Password extension in Chrome 88.0.x for Mac and it's not behaving properly for many websites. For example, if I try to log into the Twitter website, when I go to the login page, I see the new 1Password icon (the lock) in the username field and the new 1Password thing that says "Press shift+cmd+U to unlock 1Password" (I changed the shortcut from shift+cmd+L to a U).

I think you may have set the shortcut for the mini at the top of the screen. Could that be the case? Where did you change it?

I get another popup window that says "Search Personal" and below it it says "Install the 1Password extension ... with a blue button "Add 1Password to Google Chrome." (why is saying that?)

That sounds like the mini at the top of the screen.

The newer 1Password in the browser does not integrate directly with the Mac app, where the classic extension does. The newer extension is capable of working independently without the Mac app. With that said, the 1Password helper at the top our your screen has no knowledge of the newer 1Password extension. That is why you see the message to add the extension.

1Password in the browser has its own pop-up for suggestions within the browser. That being Shift + Command + X.

The fact that I'm seeing the blue button "Add 1Password to Google Chrome." tells me the extension isn't working right or I don't have it configured properly; it looks like the message I was getting when I was using the old extension.

Please my reply above.

I double-checked and I don't have the old extension installed in Chrome alongside it; just the new extension.

Sweet, that's one thing we can rule out.

I should add that I also installed the new extension (1.23.1) in Firefox 86.0 and it doesn't work at all. If I type my keyboard shortcut to unlock 1Password it behaves exactly as I described above for Chrome except that if try another approach and click the 1Password icon in the top menu bar, nothing happens.

Please see above about the new 1Password in the browser not directly working with the Mac app. Along with its unique shortcut instead of using the mini at the top of the screen.

Why doesn't 1Password log me into your support website? I would think it would at least work on your own site.

Our community here is an entirely separate login. It sounds like my answers above may make a world of difference in your use. Please let us know how it goes.

Get to know 1Password in your browser

• rlf
    rlf
    Community Member
    Options

I write software for a living so I'm accustomed to dealing with complexity but 1Password has become so complicated that I don't quite know what to do.

What is the "mini at the top of the screen"? Is that the 1P icon that appears to the right of the field where you type in a website's URL? If so, why is it there plus the same icon that now appears in the username field? The place where I typically set the keyboard shortcut to open 1P is in the Mac app in the General Preferences. If I go into Chrome extensions and try to manage the 1P extension, I can't even find where to change a keyboard shortcut there.

What is this "mini at the top of the screen"??? Why do we have that plus we have a Mac app plus we now have a new form that appears beneath the username field in login forms? Can't you see how confusing this could be for an ordinary user? And why is there a "1Password helper at the top of your screen" plus a new extension? Why do you need two things? Oh, I forgot, there are also pop-up suggestions that you can see if you type in Shift + Command + X. Yeesh.

And I still don't understand how to make 1Password work with Firefox. These relationship is dead in the water.

Why do you get to decide what this unique shortcut is? Why can't we set it? Shift + Command + X is a very awkward "chord" to type in.

1Password has seriously lost its way with this new architecture and UI. It's ridiculously confusing and I'm starting to look for a new password manager.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rlf:

Here is a screenshot of 1Password mini:

This discussion has been closed.