1Password Missing from System Preferences/Security & Privacy/Screen Recording

joster
joster
Community Member
edited March 2021 in Mac

1Password does not exist under the above area in order to grant it access to the camera to scan barcodes. I have relaunched 1 password and ensured I have the latest build. How can I fix this?

1Password Version:1Password 7
Version 7.7.1.BETA-10 (70701010)
1Password Beta
_Extension Version:
Not Provided
OS Version:macOS Catalina Version 10.15.7
_Sync Type:
Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:screen recording mac

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @joster! Welcome to the forum!

Have you ever tried using the QR code scanner feature in 1Password for Mac? If I am not mistaken, you need to use it once for the 1Password entry to appear in the Privacy preferences.

• snozdop
    snozdop
    Community Member

I'm having the same problem with 1Password v7.8 on macOS Catalina 10.15.7.

I attempt to scan an on-screen QR Code, the Code Scanner window pops up, immediately followed by a dialog asking me to "turn on 1Password in System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy > Screen Recording." However, when I open System Preferences and go to this section, 1Password is not there to turn on!!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@snozdop:

If I don't remember this wrong, there might be a limitation in the App Store version of the 1Password app, which cannot use the QR code scanner feature. Can you confirm that you are running the 1Password app from our website, and not from the Mac App Store?

• snozdop
    snozdop
    Community Member
    edited March 2021

Yes, I'm running the website version of 1PW. I've used the Code Scanner before under Mojave in previous versions of 1PW, but this is the first time I've tried to use it since updating to Catalina last week and since v7.8 came out.

It's also not possible to drag the 1PW app icon into the System Preferences window, as it is for some other apps that ask for various permissions.

• @snozdop,

drag & drop is not available in the screen recording section of privacy preferences. did you navigate to the preferences window or did you click the "open system preferences…" button?

• snozdop
    snozdop
    Community Member

@rudy I clicked the "Open System Preferences..." button, which does open System Preferences directly at the Security & Privacy > Privacy section as expected, but 1Password doesn't appear in the list of applications to allow.

I've also tried completely quitting 1Password, and restarting my Mac (as suggested by your Twitter support person) all to no avail.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@snozdop:

Can you please try quitting 1Password completely (right-click on 1Password mini in the menu bar at the top right of your screen > Quit 1Password Completely), and then relaunch 1Password? If you try to scan a QR code again now, do you see the same thing?

• snozdop
    snozdop
    Community Member

@ag_ana As I wrote in the last sentence of my previous post, I have already done that, and restarted my Mac - multiple times. It doesn't fix it.

I still cannot get 1Password to appear in the Screen Recording section of the Security & Privacy system preferences pane after clicking the "Open System Preferences..." button in the dialog that 1Password shows when attempting to scan a QR Code.

I did some Googling and found a thread for another application which suggested it could be a permissions issue, so I checked and reset the permissions on my Home directory. That did not fix the issue.

I've also just finished completely re-installing macOS 10.15.7 Catalina on top of my existing installation, and that also has not fixed it.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@snozdop:

Thank you for the confirmation! It doesn't hurt to double check that you indeed quit it completely, since often customers tell us that they did, but in reality they only closed the main app, with mini still running in the background ;)

What happens if you drag the existing 1Password app to the Trash, download a fresh copy from our website, and try this again? Same behavior with a fresh installation too?

• snozdop
    snozdop
    Community Member

@ag_ana Same behaviour after deleting the existing app and re-installing a fresh copy I'm afraid.

• snozdop
    snozdop
    Community Member

Ok, I took the nuclear option, and deleted every single file and folder on my system that contained either "1password" or "agilebits" in the name, restarted my Mac, re-installed a fresh copy of 1Password 7.8 and set it all up from scratch.

This time, when I went to scan a QR code, the dialog that appeared was slightly different to before. Instead of having "Cancel" and "Open System Preferences..." (in blue) buttons, it had "Open System Preferences..." and "Deny" (in blue). I clicked "Open System Preferences..." and this time 1Password was in the list and I could check the box and allow Screen Recording.

Not sure what happened, and why it required deleting everything to do with 1Password, but at least it is working now.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the update @snozdop! Not sure why it was necessary to do all this either, but thank you for sharing what worked for you, in case someone else stumbles upon the same thing in the future :+1:

• tekiedude
    tekiedude
    Community Member

@ag_ana I seem to have the same problem. Here are some details and what I've tried:
    - Gone through the uninstall here: https://support.1password.com/uninstall-1password/
    - Rebooted
    - Re-downloaded 1password mac app from 1password.com
    - Rebooted
    - Reinstalled 1password (it recognized an earlier account, so it seems like something is still not being deleted from the uninstall doc)

I still can't get the app to request permissions to be able to scan the QR code. Perhaps I'm still missing a step to remove all traces of the app? Anything else I can do to try to force the app to request the permissions?

App Version: 1Password 7; Version 7.8.3 (70803004); 1Password Store

• @tekiedude

I replied to your email. Let's continue the discussion there.

ref: LHS-55274-411

• kotool
    kotool
    Community Member
    edited May 2021

@ag_tommy I'm having the same issue/same steps as @tekiedude . Can you address here publicly versus just in email?

• @kotool

1. Make sure you have not installed the Mac App Store version. If so, How to install the 1Password app from 1Password.com after installing it from the Mac App Store

2. If you have 1Password from the website, download and install 1Password 7.8, and this time, you should be prompted to grant screen recording permissions. Please make sure to update to 1Password 7.8.4 (or the latest) once that has been done.

If this workaround does not work for you, we'll need to look more in-depth at your setup.

• overhub
    overhub
    Community Member

@ag_tommy I'm having the same exact problem.

Catalina 10.15.7
    1Password 7.8.4

1Password was setup using web based installer, not the AppStore. Tried removing and reinstalling 1Password.

Anytime it requests the QR capture window, it prompts me to add the Screen Recording permission, but 1Password never shows up in the list. I have other apps that use that permission successfully.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@overhub:

I would like to ask you to generate a diagnostics report from your Mac and email it to us to support+forum@agilebits.com, so we can take a closer look at why this is happening to you.

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and connect it with this forum discussion.

Looking forward to your message!

• stephenjt
    stephenjt
    Community Member

Exactly the same setup/issue as @overhub above.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for letting us know @stephenjt. Have you sent us a diagnostics report too?

• occamsrazor
    occamsrazor
    Community Member

I had the same issue. But you can just manually add the 1Password app to System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy > Screen Recording using the "+" icon and that seems to work.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for sharing the suggestion @occamsrazor!

• JMBBB
    JMBBB
    Community Member

@occamsrazor, the DOES NOT WORK. There is NO + icon on the screen recording screen at all. This is NOT a solution.

@ag_ana @kotool

• If the version in the app store does not work for this, why is it still distributed there with no warning?
    • Why are you not 100% sure if this feature is missing from your product?
    • Why is the App store version incomplete in the first place?
    • Why are you not telling us that you will fix these issues in the next update. It seems like you're just kinda learning along with us, which is not confidence inspiring.
  • Ben
    Ben
    edited August 2021

Hi @JMBBB

I'm sorry this has not been working for you as expected. :(

the DOES NOT WORK. There is NO + icon on the screen recording screen at all. This is NOT a solution.

There is on macOS 11 (Big Sur) and later:

You may need to upgrade to that version to access this functionality.

If the version in the app store does not work for this, why is it still distributed there with no warning?

Are you asking why we distribute our app via the Mac App Store despite the fact that one feature is not possible there? That's a business decision that we don't have insight into or input on here in customer service / technical support, I'm afraid.

Why are you not 100% sure if this feature is missing from your product?

The feature isn't missing from the product. It is either there (when downloaded from us) or not (when downloaded from the App Store), intentionally.

Why is the App store version incomplete in the first place?

App Store rules prevent us from using the Screen Recording permission to capture QR codes. When submitting the app with this feature enabled the update was rejected by Apple.

Why are you not telling us that you will fix these issues in the next update. It seems like you're just kinda learning along with us, which is not confidence inspiring.

I understand the situation is frustrating but we will not (cannot) be making changes to this in the next update, or the foreseeable future. It is possible that Apple will change the ruling, and we could certainly reconsider at that point, but we don't control that. We also do not control the availability (or unavailability) of the '+' button in System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy > Screen Recording. Those items are outside our scope.

Ben

• JMBBB
    JMBBB
    Community Member

Hi @Ben

Thank you for your reply.

• It's nice to see that this feature has been added to macOS 11.

• My question wasn't about why you would continue to distribute it in the app store in any form. I do understand the business realities of that, and I can understand that decision. My question was about not labeling it as different.

• The feature is missing if the product is presented as the same in two places, but one of them doesn't have the functionality, but still includes all the button and options related to it inside the software. How about a popup in the app store version saying, "This feature isn't available here. Please download from our website"? But that's not what happens. It just launches the broken feature. That does not seem like an intentional act - I believe you that it was - but it just appears broken, so I spent a bunch of time troubleshooting for no reason at all. That's why it matters, sir.

• Uninstalling and reinstalling the correct version DOES NOT fix the problem. If this is a known issue, why is there not an uninstaller to automate that process? If you have two versions, and you are not making it obvious to your customers, how can you not provide a way to switch after the fact?

• No one was indicating that you have control over Apple's UI. Recommending it as a solution to people is why I called attention to it.

• "This feature isn't available here. Please download from our website"? But that's not what happens.

I see; thanks for clarifying. Unfortunately App Store rules prevent that sort of thing as well. We're not allowed to direct people away from the App Store version within the App Store or the software downloaded from the App Store.

It just launches the broken feature. That does not seem like an intentional act - I believe you that it was - but it just appears broken, so I spent a bunch of time troubleshooting for no reason at all. That's why it matters, sir.

I am sorry you've wasted a bunch of time on this. The wording on the screen is intended to make it clear that the QR code needs to be dragged and dropped onto the reader when using the App Store version, instead of dragging the reader over the top of the QR code like is possible with the website download. Drag and drop of an image into the scanner window doesn't need any special permissions, and so that works with the App Store version (and also the website version), and is what the window directs App Store users to do:

Is that not what you see when using the App Store version? if not, to help me better understand the situation I'd like to ask you to take a screenshot of what you're seeing and attach it to your reply:

Uninstalling and reinstalling the correct version DOES NOT fix the problem. If this is a known issue, why is there not an uninstaller to automate that process? If you have two versions, and you are not making it obvious to your customers, how can you not provide a way to switch after the fact?

We do have a guide intended to help with this process:

How to install the 1Password app from 1Password.com after installing it from the Mac App Store

Thank you for your reply.

I hope that helps!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.