Will there be a verification option in 1password (e.g. ID-check like for a bank account)?

Options
1pwtorulethemall
1pwtorulethemall
Community Member

Dear 1Password team, I wanted to know if you ever thought about including a feature to verify your account, e.g. in the same way you have to do an ID check for a bank account. Since I put so much sensible information on the 1Password account, I think I would even pay for a feature like this, since it could improve security in case of a breach. Today, many service providers offer online ID-checks so it shouldn`t be too expensive. And as far as I know, no other password-manager offers this service. What do you think?
Thanks a lot!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:id check

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @1pwtorulethemall! Welcome to the forum!

Can you please elaborate a little bit? Are you referring to a way to prove your identity before using 1Password? The reason I ask is because 1Password is based on encryption, that's where the security comes from, rather than from identity verification like banks use.

• 1pwtorulethemall
    1pwtorulethemall
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ana, thank you!
    Yes, but more as an additional option, not a precondition to use 1password. In case I lose my password or somebody manages to hack/ steal my password (which of course would be the worst horror scenario thinkable), I could have a way to prove to you that the account belongs to me, so you can lock it and hand it back to me.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@1pwtorulethemall:

Thank you for the clarification!

In case I lose my password or somebody manages to hack/ steal my password

I am afraid that a verification option (even if not mandatory) would not help in this case. The Master Password is mandatory to unlock 1Password data, so there would be no way to decrypt it without it, not even with additional verification. The security of 1Password relies on your credentials being kept safe, so in the worst possible case, what you are suggesting would not protect you from this :(

For more information about the 1Password security model, please see this documentation page:

About the 1Password security model

This discussion has been closed.